Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2015, 06:16 PM

Kennel Cough

Amber although vaccinated last July has contracted Kennel Cough. It is obviously upsetting her and me. She seems ok while she is resting but as soon as I exercise her she starts choking and coughing like mad. I hate to see her like this after taking the effort to protect her against such things and I am getting told all sorts of things re how long it will last and the best method of helping her. The vet does not seem too bothered and offered just a child dose of Benilyn as an option. I am wondering if like me she is suffering pretty badly from the high pollen count at the moment. She is not easy to get to take tablets otherwise I would try her on some antihistamine. Any advice would be readily appreciated. Moyra xxx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2015, 06:26 PM
I've been told Kavonia (no idea how its spelt) is good for KC.
How about putting the anti histamine in a dairylea triangle, someone on here used to always do that. I think there's anti histamine childrens syrup you know,maybe syringe it in.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-06-2015, 07:28 PM
June, I have managed to get a couple of antihistamine down her and she is settled and sleeping now. I will see how she is in the morning and offer her some more. I am relieved that she has stopped coughing and is just resting.
Thanks for your response. Take care and have a good night yourself.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2015, 05:47 AM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
June, I have managed to get a couple of antihistamine down her and she is settled and sleeping now. I will see how she is in the morning and offer her some more. I am relieved that she has stopped coughing and is just resting.
Thanks for your response. Take care and have a good night yourself.
My collie is a sucker for peanut butter where medication is needed and it sticks to their mouth so they cannot spit it out. I grind tabs between 2 teaspoons first. Poor dog, Moyra... Hope all is bettering. Lucky she has you!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2015, 07:39 AM
You can give adult benylin. The dosage is: Dosage (according to vet) is 2mg per kg body weight Adult Benylin for Chesty Coughs Non Drowsy
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

24-06-2015, 08:49 AM
i believe that teh KC vacinne only last about 6months and there are a number of strains of KC and they cant all be covered

My boy had it once caught from someone at his training class (the whole class ended up with it)

hes only been 'vaccinated' once years ago and I never bothered since

i would prob stick to a childs dry cough medicine i would have thought personally that Covonia was a bit strong
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-06-2015, 10:21 AM
I was told when my two had kennel cough to give them some honey in warm water, it soothes their throat. It seem to help mine out. Also it is easy as they loved the taste. Hope it help you too and that Amber feels better soon.

Sally
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Thanks everyone, the antihistamine tablets seem to be helping her. It is only when she gets excited or exercising that she starts hacking really badly. I think she is gradually improving. In the meantime I am keeping her away from other dogs.