Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MandJane
New Member!
Female 

23-06-2015, 02:19 PM

Chicken wings

I've never given my dog a bone, will he be able to handle a chicken wing (defrosted) or will it get stuck in his throat? Should I start off with a different bone like a rib first?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-06-2015, 04:03 PM
Well I prefer carcasses to wings but if you're worried hold onto one end while he chomps on the other. When mine have scoffed them too quickly they just bring it up and have another go.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

23-06-2015, 04:54 PM
Never had a problem with chicken wings,carcasses, drumsticks etc.It IS very scary when you give them at first because of all the scaremongering you hear,but mine have chicken wings from about 5 weeks onwards with no ill effects,my eldest dogs are now 10 this year
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Never had a problem with chicken wings,carcasses, drumsticks etc.It IS very scary when you give them at first because of all the scaremongering you hear,but mine have chicken wings from about 5 weeks onwards with no ill effects,my eldest dogs are now 10 this year
Well said. I cannot afford to feed totally raw and do not have the resources, but try always to give each dog, and cat, some raw every day and it is always chicken. Usually the dogs get the legs and carcase, the cats the wings. Breast used t be for me but I have gone right off all meat so I stew that with vegetables for the dogs. Where I lived before I could get chicken necks for E3 for 10 k and that was the staple. Never any problem and as has been said if they get too greedy they simply regurg and try again. No table manners!
PONlady
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-06-2015, 09:31 AM
My PON boy is ten years old and until 2 weeks ago,mad never had a raw bone. He had a chicken wing; I smashed the main bone with a rolling pin first to break it. I used a knife to cut a slit between to two 'arm' binges so I could put my thumb through for gripping, then held it out to the dog.

At first, he tried to grab the entire wing, but when he realised I had firm hold of it, he started crunching up the big bone of the wing. He's had a chicken wing every second day since, and now crunches them up wth gusto. It really only took that first time to get him to understand what to do.

Don't panic if the dog does bolt the whole wing. If it gets brought back, it will probably just be 'seconds out; round two!' as far as the dog is concerned! (Yes, Ewww, but they are dogs!). If it doesn't come back up, the dog has a digestion that will probably deal with it fine anyway!