View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2015, 04:44 AM

Risk of arousing blood lust by feeding raw belief.!

Lost count of how many times I have heard here in rural Ireland that if you feed a dog raw anything it will spark a blood lust and the dog will start attacking sheep. Needless to say I know this to be untrue,, wondered if this belief is so in any other country?
Dorrit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-06-2015, 05:40 AM
Oh theres a tale here too that once a dog has tasted blood it goes feral.

I also met a danish man once who said they believed that all dogs carried Rabies in their tail and you should never let a dog bite or chase its own tail because if it were to break the skin it would get the Rabies..

Stupidity knows no bounderies.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2015, 06:21 AM
Originally Posted by Dorrit View Post
Oh theres a tale here too that once a dog has tasted blood it goes feral.

I also met a danish man once who said they believed that all dogs carried Rabies in their tail and you should never let a dog bite or chase its own tail because if it were to break the skin it would get the Rabies..

Stupidity knows no bounderies.
REALLY! here the result here is that they give cooked bones... Ireland is full of superstitions.. like the robin being a sign of death. Ah so they dock tails in Denmark!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Here its similar in the Uk my own mum was one of them. Was very worried when we got our first Bernese and decided to follow breeders guidelines and feed raw.
Dillon is also fed raw and I am sure if there is an iota of truth in it family, friends and ourselves would of been chomped on long ago and swallowed.
at the rabies story you wonder where people get it from sometimes.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2015, 07:58 AM
I'm American and this is said here as well. They even feed fighting dogs raw meat in hopes that it'll make them more aggressive. Totally untrue. In a canine therapy program I signed up for, you had to promise to not feed your dog any raw animal parts for the same reasons. Ridiculous!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Lol can't really see my Pugs chasing sheep and killing all too much effort.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-06-2015, 08:19 AM
My butchers wife believed this, yes the one that sold pet mince You couldn't make it up could you With 4 of them chomping away I'm sure they would have soon had me as a snack if they were feeling peckish
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-06-2015, 08:22 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
My butchers wife believed this, yes the one that sold pet mince You couldn't make it up could you With 4 of them chomping away I'm sure they would have soon had me as a snack if they were feeling peckish
They ain't stupid you'd only last a few days where as the present arrangement means they get fed every day lol
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2015, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
She probably thought you cooked the mince..Long ago I bought that for my cats and did cook it before I learned better, but that was in the UK.
Rosebud77
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2015, 12:13 PM
Maybe they are trying to understand dogs that kill sheep? ie rationalise it. Mind you the way wee dog licks me.... Sometimes I suggest that the taste for blood is in the dog and that feeding raw will in fact fulfil it...still that old fashioned irish look on their faces