Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Chumble's Mum
New Member!
Female 

13-06-2015, 01:37 PM

Doggy hayfever.

Around this time of year, Sally seems to get quite bad hayfever. Theres a farm opposite the house and last year the farmer planted rape seed. (This year thank God he hasn't - just left long grass - at least I hope he hasn't - there arn't any flowers yet ).

Anyway, when she gets up in the morning she she tends to bend her head under her legs as though she has a sneeze stuck. She'll do it a few times and then she'll be fine, usually has a bit of a sneeze. As she is getting on (she is 19) I wondered if anyone knew of any natural remedies as I am reluctant to give her tablets in case they make her drowsy or don't agre with her. I've tried putting some vaseline over her nose, but this doesn't help when her mouth is open.

Anyone have any ideas?
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2015, 01:45 PM
Ask your vet about piriton. Or you could use euphrasia which is homeopathic or apis mel which is also homeopathic. But it does depend on whether this is actual hayfever or allergic rhinitis to give it the correct name or something else as she is getting on in years bless her. Have you aksed your vet?
Chumble's Mum
New Member!
Female 

13-06-2015, 02:44 PM
Aww thanks for your reply. I haven't seen the vet about it yet but I'm planning to take her to see him this week.. I'm pretty certain it's hay fever because she stopped doing it last year as soon as summer passed and it started again in late spring this year. I can also hear phlegm in her throat. Once she's sneezed she's usually fine. The pollen count is really high here. I sneeze around twenty times each morning.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2015, 05:24 PM
I can top that and the itchy eyes but once I start getting the right hayfever tablets I get relief quite quickly. Good luck with doglet.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-06-2015, 07:37 PM
Poor Sally. I think this year must be a bad year, as Eddie has been having problems with inflamed eyes since the third week of May. I was using Boots Hay Fever Eye Drops, to flush his eyes before and after walks, and which was just about controlling it. However, the vet has given him Maxitrol Eye Drops. I can't say they are working any better as they should only be used twice daily.
We have rain here today, let's hope the damp air manages to keep the pollen down to manageable levels.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Euphrasia is amazing for eye problems. You can usually get it from Holland and Barret or a good chemist that stocks homeopathic remedies. Or of couse online.