Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jayny66
New Member!
Female 

06-05-2015, 11:14 AM

Morning Nausea, Gurgling Tummy, Wind & colitis

My dog sometimes wakes up and won't touch his breakfast. Then the loud tummy noises start straight away and last most of the day. During this time he won't eat. He's usually picked up early evening then wants food. Next morning this can bring on colitis that improves during the day. The vet says its normal for dogs to get bilious stomachs with or without vomiting and recommends giving the dog something to eat last thing before bed. As my dog also has a sensitive stomach its hard to know what to give him to eat last thing. He's currently on Naturediet chicken and rice, split into 3/4 meals a day and I give him wainwrights salmon training treats after his food. He'll have fish4dogs salmon tiddlers soaked before bedtime. Vet says these aren't very good because the bedtime treat should have plenty of fibre to keep it in the stomach longer to prevent the morning sickness. Has anybody else had similar experience with their dog and any suggestions with bed time snacks? Thank you!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2015, 01:04 PM
My boy is on a salmon based food and is fab on it but I would prob avoid salmon/fish pre bed. I just figure it has a high oil content and a 'greasy' pre bed treat may not help? Just a thought. A plain biscuit may help? But guess you'd have be careful colitis wise. Sorry not help
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-05-2015, 01:04 PM
Would maybe a charcoal biscuit help?
jayny66
New Member!
Female 

06-05-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks for your reply. I used to give him gravy bones but they finally caught up with him and made him sick! I'll research the charcoal biscuits thanks! He's only been on the naturediet for 2 weeks and I've not really tried it before bedtime but its got rice in it so it might work. Fingers crossed!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Hello Jayny you don't say how old your dog is or if it is a puppy.

My 6 year old dog has had a problem with acid reflux since being a puppy. When she is inactive and her tummy is empty for a long period (like overnight ) she vomits bile and her tummy rumbles.
Her daily food allowance is split into three meals the last meal is fed around 10pm and the first around 7am with a small one at about 5pm.
This seems to work very well and we rarely get the vomiting nowadays.
jayny66
New Member!
Female 

06-05-2015, 01:56 PM
Hi there
Thanks for your reply. Glad your dog is has improved!! My boy is 10 and has had the strange tummy for a few years. It's not been too bad since I changed his diet to purina salmon but he's gone off that now and I've had to change his food again so that's why I'm getting a few problems at the moment. The vet has given him some milk of magnesia type stuff for dogs which he started yesterday. Sounds like I need to give extra meal much later on then..I'll try 10 like you and keep my fingers crossed! Thanks for your help!
Magic
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-06-2015, 10:21 PM
I think if you have gurgling noises which last most of the day, there is a digestive tract issue going on which needs to be addressed and treated. It may even require antibiotics, it sounds like he could have colitis, which is a broad term and really ought to be investigated.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-06-2015, 04:32 AM
Ginger biscuit, only one at bedtime. I will look up the other biscuit but can't for the life of me remember what it is called. OK just remembered they are called arrowroot biscuits. If the ginger one doesn't work just one arrowroot biscuit should do the trick. They usually can be bought from the co-op. I gave these to my two collies when I had them as they both had this problem. They didn't get bad teeth or any other problems from eating them.
jayny66
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2015, 01:46 PM
Thank you!! He's doing ok at the ,moment, touch wood, Im giving him another feed of his normal food, just before he goes to bed, and it seems to be working. Ginger biscuits and arrowroot works for humans so I guess they won't hurt a dog. If I Have any more problems I will try them. Thanks again!
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2015, 02:01 PM
No they won't hurt a dog, as I said I gave them to my two collies. They were sisters and both had that problem. Pleased to hear he is doing ok.