Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nadine201
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-04-2015, 02:57 PM

Joint stiffness

My 6 yr old has always had a little lameness in one of his back legs but now seems quite stiff when walking & really slows down on the way home from a short 20 minute walk.

Mentioned it to the Vet last week when he was in for his annual boosters & we talked about giving him some supplements.

What would be best for him ?

Thanks.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Hello Nadine, I am not a fan of supplements. What does the vet think is causing the problem?
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

29-04-2015, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by nadine201 View Post
What would be best for him ?
Thanks.
If you decide you want to try some supplements bear in mind that all of them have the active ingrediant as Glucosamine and there are lots on the market, on line suppliers like Viovet do several.

We are currently using the ones our vet sold us at a price which makes me think they are gold plated They are called SYNOQUIN and have added Dexahan but unless Dexahan is some miricle drug which will make our dog ten years younger then I seriously wouldn't suggest you buy these

YUMove is one a lot of people use.

You could also ask Meg what the alternatives to supplements might be, she has a lot of experience, medication is not always the answer even if the veterinary proffession would like you to believe so
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2015, 06:28 PM
I use Yumove and it seem to work very well for Ellen who is 10 years old and has got arthritis in her hips.

She also has metacam.

Sallly
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2015, 11:27 PM
Cookie had Yumove daily for a few years, never had any side effects that I noticed. He would happily take them too, which for us was the main bonus.
There are some herbs and spices that you could add to his food that have a natural anti-inflammatory effect. Of the top of my head turmeric with a tiny amount of black pepper, I think cinnamon is another and I think very very small dose of vit C can help (but you would have to work with your vet to figure out a dosage). Then there is feeding oily fish, that is supposed to help.
There is also an injection that has recently been discussed on the forum, cartrophen (sp?). It helped Cookie for a while but became less effective over time. I'm not sure if it is best used early on or later but it gave him extra time of acting more able and youthful.
Cookie also went for hydrotherapy, some places are sort of a small-ish swimming pool while others use a tank with a treadmill in the bottom (this is what Cookie used as he never could swim). Either way it has to be nice and warm as to reduce stress on the muscles. And they should be quickly dried after leaving the warmth of the water. Cold doesn't help at all.