View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LittleLady2015
New Member!
Female 

22-04-2015, 04:01 PM

Possible puppy mange? Your thoughts please.

My dog is 8 months old and she has had a rash on abdomen that comes and goes for the past 3 months. She also has been experiencing hair loss around her neck, elbows and rear legs. Today I finally took her to see the vet because her rash was turning a little yellow and he thought that she might be suffering from puppy mange. However, when they did a skin scrape test, the test for mange came back negative. Although the test were negative, the vet said that it's still possible she have mange, and the skin they tested just didn't have the mites in that specific area.

They gave me a shampoo of which I have to wash her twice a week and some antibiotics for the bacterial skin infection. We are supposed to go back to the vet in 2 weeks for a follow-up check-up.

My dog doesn't seem bothered by the rashes at all. She doesn't scratch at them or bite at it.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on our situation.

P.s. She did have roundworms about two-three weeks ago but she has already been treated for that.

This is when it first started

The hair loss around her neck

How the rash looked today. The rash would normally come back on those white areas of her abdomen but as you can see in the picture, the rash is now going on her legs.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2015, 04:22 PM
To be honest I would follow your vets instructions and see how things are in a fortnight. If she is not scratching then I wouldn't worry too much. Hope the rash clears up.
Chumble's Mum
New Member!
Female 

23-04-2015, 04:48 PM
Hi, could it be that she has a flea allergy. I know you might have treated her but I was treating my dog Sally for fleas and a similar rash for two months with Frontline, until my vet told me that it no longer worked for some dogs as the fleas had become immune. He also initially thought it could be mites or mange but tests came back negative and so he gave me Stronghold. Two months later there is no longer a rash and all her hair has grown back on her back and around her ears. Hope this helps.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2015, 08:28 PM
If she's not itching, there's NO WAY it's a flea allergy. The rash might be food or some other kinds of allergies. If she's not itching, it's also not sarcoptic mange, but perhaps could still be the demodex that the vet missed. Do the vet treatment, and see if it works. If not, try eliminating things from her diet. My boy had bald spots and dry flaky rashes and turns out he has a rather severe soy allergy, a wheat allergy, and a rosemary allergy. Took ages to find all this out so the process can be arduous. He wasn't scratching, by the way... his hair was just falling out and his skin was warm and flaky.
LittleLady2015
New Member!
Female 

01-05-2015, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
If she's not itching, there's NO WAY it's a flea allergy. The rash might be food or some other kinds of allergies. If she's not itching, it's also not sarcoptic mange, but perhaps could still be the demodex that the vet missed. Do the vet treatment, and see if it works. If not, try eliminating things from her diet. My boy had bald spots and dry flaky rashes and turns out he has a rather severe soy allergy, a wheat allergy, and a rosemary allergy. Took ages to find all this out so the process can be arduous. He wasn't scratching, by the way... his hair was just falling out and his skin was warm and flaky.
Originally Posted by Chumble's Mum View Post
Hi, could it be that she has a flea allergy. I know you might have treated her but I was treating my dog Sally for fleas and a similar rash for two months with Frontline, until my vet told me that it no longer worked for some dogs as the fleas had become immune. He also initially thought it could be mites or mange but tests came back negative and so he gave me Stronghold. Two months later there is no longer a rash and all her hair has grown back on her back and around her ears. Hope this helps.
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
To be honest I would follow your vets instructions and see how things are in a fortnight. If she is not scratching then I wouldn't worry too much. Hope the rash clears up.

Just wanted to give an update of how my dog is doing.

The rash is healing, everything is well, but it saddens me that she's left with all these spots.

She's still taking her medication and we are still on the prescription shampoo.

A little less than a week for her follow up appointment with the vet.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-05-2015, 04:00 PM
Well, that's good news the rash is healing, I would assume the spots will go too but your vet will advise when you next see him.
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2015, 07:31 AM
Do be careful what you use for flea treatment if your dog has any collie in her. Looks like urtica to me but follow vets advice.
LittleLady2015
New Member!
Female 

08-05-2015, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Popster View Post
Well, that's good news the rash is healing, I would assume the spots will go too but your vet will advise when you next see him.
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
Do be careful what you use for flea treatment if your dog has any collie in her. Looks like urtica to me but follow vets advice.
So we went to the vet for our follow up two days ago and he says she's looking great. I told him that I'm just worried that the rash will flare up again and he pretty much told me that the likely hood of her rash coming back is highly likely.

We will continue the medicated shampoo we have left from the vet and the vet also recommended benedryl for my dog if I see her rash coming back.

We are moving from the desert to the forestry mountains and the vet said that in some cases that helps animals with certain skin conditions, so we will see.

I'm not using any flea treatment.
Popster
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2015, 07:22 PM
Good news there, pleased for you. Hope the move goes well.