Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Normstan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2015, 01:29 PM

Lip fold & food

Hello all & happy easter😉one of my boys has very annoying tiny lip fold type sores. He had antibiotics which cleared it a treat but I have to keep it clean,bathe once a day to remove any muck etc. I would like Norman to be on dried food but he's a fussy chap always has been & usually has some in morning but for his tea has 1 can butchers choice. He's very fit 10 yrs teeth good etc etc & looks well. Vet has no issues with him. I spoke to another vet re this on the radio & he said as dogs get older their faces change shape just like ours & could be the reason this is now a problem & never has been! Any suggested gratefully received !😊
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

05-04-2015, 04:56 PM
Hello Amanda LFD can be a real pain, we had a cocker with the problem.

If he is ok on his current diet I would be reluctant to change it.
I would say do as you are doing keeping the area clean and dry . Saline is good thing to wipe/bathe the area to keep germs at bay, a pint of boiled water to a teaspoon of salt then dry the area with thoroughly by blotting kitchen roll.
Normstan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-04-2015, 05:21 PM
Was just wondering if there's a dryer wet food but your right he's fine on what he has . Do exactly as you describe ,only takes moments , I suppose as we all get older need slightly more help & we do anything we can for them. Thanks for replying x
Meg
Supervisor

05-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Amanda you could change the food but in a 10 year old fussy chap that could bring it's own problems.
Even if you were feeding a dry food you could still have LFD if your chap is drooling a bit and air is not getting to the folds around the mouth.
Normstan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Hi Meg,bizarrely as there was no butchers in shop one day bought sainsburys own & it's all cleared up! I think it might be that the butchers is more sticky,hence it sat in Normans fold,I don't know really but as its all gone I don't really mind & he's happy!
Meg
Supervisor

12-05-2015, 01:36 PM
Originally Posted by Normstan View Post
Hi Meg,bizarrely as there was no butchers in shop one day bought sainsburys own & it's all cleared up! I think it might be that the butchers is more sticky,hence it sat in Normans fold,I don't know really but as its all gone I don't really mind & he's happy!
Hello Amanda how odd, maybe the bacteria don't like Sainsburys

As long as Norman is happy thats all that matters