Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2015, 06:17 PM

Effective eye drops help please.

hi guys, long story short I have just found myself with an eight year old miniature poodle. Totally the opposite to any dog breeds I ever quite expected to own!
As you can imagine being a poodle he has a string of health problems including a heart murmur. But the one thing I'm struggling to get to get to grips with (as well as the vets) is his eye problems. Most mornings he develops hard, dark crusty lumps on his eye lids, which are sometimes hard to remove. The vets have prescribed two eye drops which neither worked, and one which was a gel and cost a cosy £46 for the world's smallest tube! - this helped, but after a couple of weeks it's back.
Is there any off the counter eye drops, or treatments which you can recommend. I thought to try human eye drops but I'm worried they might cause more harm than good. The eyes don't irritate him but it's something I want to try and get on top of.

Any advice would be amazing!
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-02-2015, 06:37 PM
Providing your dog has no ulceration of the cornea, you can use Golden Eye Drops or ointment which you can buy over the counter at the chemist.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2015, 07:27 PM
Hello LW I would bathe the eyes each morning with a warm saline solution so that is a pint of boiled water to a teaspoon of salt allowed to cool. This is a similar composition to tears and mildly antiseptic.
I would use cotton wool soaked in the solution and use a separate piece for each eye to prevent cross contamination .
This should remove the crusting.
chris99
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by twilightwolf View Post
hi guys, long story short I have just found myself with an eight year old miniature poodle. Totally the opposite to any dog breeds I ever quite expected to own!
As you can imagine being a poodle he has a string of health problems including a heart murmur. But the one thing I'm struggling to get to get to grips with (as well as the vets) is his eye problems. Most mornings he develops hard, dark crusty lumps on his eye lids, which are sometimes hard to remove. The vets have prescribed two eye drops which neither worked, and one which was a gel and cost a cosy £46 for the world's smallest tube! - this helped, but after a couple of weeks it's back.
Is there any off the counter eye drops, or treatments which you can recommend. I thought to try human eye drops but I'm worried they might cause more harm than good. The eyes don't irritate him but it's something I want to try and get on top of.

Any advice would be amazing!
Hi, my vet recommended Liquifilm Tears which you can buy in any chemist.£3.50-£3.99. I have one blind diabetic dog but I also used it for my other two dogs. I have two Bichons & one Cavalier.
chris99
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2015, 07:38 PM
P.S. one of my dogs developed a very bad eye infection when swimming in water. It could be that your dog needs an antibiotic (which it sounds like you were prescribed) but also needs an oral one too. It took a long time for this infection to clear but eventually we got rid of it. It was after this that the vet recommended the Liquifilm Tears. She told me to use it on my blind dog too as she has Dry Eyes.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-02-2015, 08:18 PM
Great advice from Meg I think with the bathing every morning.I have to do this with mine,softens the crusty bits which can be very irritating and could cause damage if they scratch the surface of the eye
Mine had just finished a course of ab's and is having Optrex rehydrating eye drops for dry eye twice a day.She does well on them with full permission from my vet of course Always best to check.Good luck xx
twilightwolf
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-02-2015, 10:37 PM
Thank you all for your advice! Will definitely give liquifilm a try! Each morning I use warm salted water just to keep the eyes clean - it's just this horrid dark crusting that's irritating. Thanks for your advice - will keep you all updated.
He has currently made himself very at home and is sound asleep on my bed...
brenda1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2015, 10:02 AM
I use euphrasia which is homepathic and works wonders.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2015, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by brenda1 View Post
I use euphrasia which is homepathic and works wonders.
Just been having a look,is it the Eyebright Euphrasia drops?be interested in giving them a go
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-02-2015, 12:01 PM
I also give Georgina, my Pei Euphrasia because she's had so many operation on her eyes and even though her eyesight is now 100% she still sometimes gets sticky eyes. You can buy Euphrasia from Dorwest for £6.80 a tube of 100 pillules.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >