register for free

Dog News

Owners reject plan to muzzle all dogs in public

THE majority of people who responded to a consultation on responsible dog ownership have said they are not in favour of compulsory muzzling of all dogs in public places.

The consultation, *Responsible Dog Ownership in Scotland, asked members of the public for their views on how to improve public safety. More than 97 per cent of those who responded were against the proposal for muzzling.

Other measures, including compulsory microchipping, were also consulted on by the Scottish government.

The majority of respondents were in favour of a system of compulsory microchipping and the government said it is now considering the practicalities of introducing this across the country.

Justice secretary Kenny MacAskill said: "We already have long-standing laws in place to help protect members of the public from dangerous dogs, but this consultation has provided us with the opportunity to see if there is anything more that can be done to strengthen legislation in Scotland.

"Authorities already have the option of muzzling available for dogs in certain cases but this consultation allowed people to offer their views on whether a more general system of muzzling of all dogs is practical or justified.

"It was a radical proposal but it was important that communities across Scotland had the chance to give their views of every option available .

"As such, we will not be progressing with any *policies on this."
Article here...

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...ublic.25748586

I have no objection to compulsory microchipping, but am definitely not in favour of compulsory muzzling of all dogs in public places. Some dogs, when it is necessary, yes, but not all dogs.

Your comments and views:
Jessiesdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-11-2014, 09:00 AM
I don't see the problem with muzzling dogs when they're out and about.
My Jess is muzzled because if she perceives another dog is being rude to her or too in her face then she nips them. On the other hand Lexi isn't muzzled because she never met a dog she didn't like and is very calm. But I have a spare muzzle for her just in case she needs it. If she had to be muzzled it's no big deal.
Admittedly since my two are Lurchers they can have racing muzzles which have loads of room to pant, drink and have a treat put through them. I don't like the really tight muzzles that some dogs wear, they seem a bit cruel.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-11-2014, 02:44 PM
97% of Scottish people not in favour.Imagine the majority of the rest of the Uk won't be in favour either.Can't see it ever taking off tbh.Its irresponsible owners that are causing the need for such a proposal.We all know our own dogs,how they behave in public,the issues they may or may not have.If your dog requires a muzzle for his/her own safety and the safety of others...put one on it...simple!!Why should responsible owners and well behaved dogs be punished?because some people don't take dog ownership and their responsibility seriously.Attacks on children don't just happen in public.Most recent cases have happened in the children's own home,where a muzzle wouldn't be required by law!!
As long as there are dogs there will be some owners who don't abide by rules.Out of control dogs will still exist,leaving the muzzled dogs in greater danger as they would be unable to defend themselves against an attack.
Greater punishment for negligible owners I say!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

08-11-2014, 03:31 PM
Blanket compulsory muzzling = crazy idea

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top