register for free

Dog News

New activity park will be built on popular dog walking site

Villagers have “mixed feelings” over plans to build a new activity park at a popular dog walking site.

Rushcliffe Borough Council has approved an application to build a new playground, including a ball court, basketball hoops and swings at Rectory Field, in Keyworth.

But dog owner John Rooksby takes his eight-year-old Staffie Jody to the field everyday for a three-hour walk and is worried that “the only green space of its kind in the village” may soon disappear.

He said: “There are many other dog walkers in the area who use the field every day, I’m young and if need be I could take Jody out in one of the nearby fields but older people wouldn’t be able to do that.”
...[snip]...
Emma Piper, 40, of Charnwood Avenue, is part of the Keyworth Community Park Project team, another village group, which is attempting to raise Ł20,000 to revamp an existing children’s playground.

She said: “I agree that it would be a good idea to put something there but the question is what.

“There is a mixed feeling in the village. I am concerned about the plans to tarmac the lovely grass for the basketball court.”

Chairman of the parish council Tony Grice said his wife used the field to walk their dog on a daily basis.

He said: “I can’t see how it will make a difference to walking dogs as the activity park will only take up around ten per cent of the field and will be fenced off.”
Full article and photograph here...

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Keywor...ail/story.html

If, as Mr Rooksby says in the article, the site is part of a conservation area and “the only green space of its kind in the village”, and there are mixed feeling in the village about the proposal, the council are in an unenviable position.

Your comments and views:
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2014, 11:19 AM
They did exactly that here.Small percentage of an area popular with dog walkers has been used as a children's park.It is amazing,supervised at all times,very safe and much needed.Still loads of space to exercise the pooches,made even more pleasant by the sound of children laughing and having fun.Could see the point if the plan was to use all the space,but 10% is not a huge amount!
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-10-2014, 11:51 AM
are the children of the area big into their basketball then? fair enough if there is 'demand' for something do it sympathetically but a basketball court? (or anything that involved large expanse of concrete for that matter)

there are a few basketball courts in similar locations near us and i am yet to EVER see anyone using them

Where next?

Dog News Homepage
Latest and popular news, by week, month, year and all-time!

Dog News Forum
Shows dog related news by latest activity

Submit A News Story
Info on how to submit a news story

Latest Dog News...

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top