Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2005, 09:41 PM

weights and measures, health and safety

i now have a job at a bar, and was wondering what the law is on measures. I know its illegal to under measure on wines, spirits and beer. But what is the law on coke? Does anyone know what the law is? Is the company allowed to fill up the glass to the top with ice and leave an inch gap below the top of the glass when filling with coke? does this breach selling standardS? for example, if a pint glass is classed as an 18oz glass and the bar person is fillin to the top with ice and under filling the glass.. is this against the law if someone is payin for an 18oz glass of coke?

Also, does anyone know where the law stands on using beer from drip trays to use again in new pints? is this a breach of health and safety?
Chow
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/c...DV058-1011.txt
Don't know if this is any use to you.
Chow
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-09-2005, 11:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny

Also, does anyone know where the law stands on using beer from drip trays to use again in new pints? is this a breach of health and safety?
Ew I hope so. I will watch this thread with interest. Not that I drink beer but I wouldn't like to think I was drinking drip tray beer if I did.
Just ignore me, I don't get out much.
Kimbles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2005, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny

eeeewwww i hope so too,, thats disgusting!! glad i dont drink beer or lager lol

surely if the person does not want ice in their coke they can just say "no ice" thats what i do as i dont like watery drinks,, well done on your new job hun x x
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2005, 09:17 PM
ok well i did a test a work yesterday. The pints of coke we sell are sold in a 20" glass (pint) and the customer is paying for 18" of coke. Anyway, the customer can opt for no ice, so obv this is considered when pricing coke and the coke would need to be filled to about an inch under the top of the pint to be about 18". Anyway, this is wot my manager says is the whole point of ice, to make it up to the 18" without the glass lookin empty i guess. Anyway, he fills the glasses to the brim with ice and i measured this out and it works out that with the ice to the top u only get just over half a pint of liquid!! Now if u fill the glass between half way to 3/4 with ice, then u get around about 18" or so. So... bearing that in mind, he is then illegally technically watering down the coke isnt he?
In his words he wants to keep the stocks up... but theres no such thing.. it means if we underpour and water down the coke, he has extra stock that he can pocket the money for himself!! Surely!
He keeps sayin we have standards and we should be serving 18" of coke, so need to fill to top with ice, but ive proven now to myself that u shouldnt fill that high cos the customer isnt getting wot they paid for.
So now do i tell him this and get into yet another argument with him and risk losing my job? or do i wait til i have my mortgage for my house gone thru then quit and report him to weights and measures?

ive also measured out the wine measures to see where the wine should go to using the spirit measures as a guide as i 'know' these shud be filled to top to be 25ml. Anyway, it turns out the wine shud be filled to top of the wine measures as there is no line on them to state otherwise anyway. Of course all the staff are filling a cm or 2 under the top because the manager has told them. So do i tell them not to cos its against the law?
derbyrottie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-09-2005, 11:12 PM
dont you use stamped glasses for wine? if not then it has to be legally measured out into something that is stamped each time you pour a glass of wine
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2005, 10:10 AM
no the glass isnt stamped. And the pourer isnt stamped either. the amount is meant to be poured to the brim
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

16-09-2005, 10:49 AM
I used to work in a pub - they can serve the cola in any amount of glass - unless they say 1/2 a pint of cola they can decide on the measurement.

No you can definately not use the beer from the drip trays

And all wine must be poured into wine glasses that have been marked

When I worked in a pub we would get surprise inspections from the trading standards to make sure we were doing the measurements right - but I worked for a pub that was part of a chain - is the pub your working for independant?
presley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-09-2005, 11:12 AM
I done an NVQ in bar management and here are the rules:

EVERY glass must be marked apart from shot glasses which should have a measuring drum or small proper shot glass to measure shots with that aren't on an optic. You must put the exact amount into the glass (up to the line) appart from some lagers because some of the head adds to the measurement when it deflates. If you are using glasses that are unmarked then Trading Standards can close you down (after you have been given warning to ammend them and they come back to check.) If it hasn't been done then they can close you down

beer from drip trays CAN NOT be used to top up another drink....... BUT when it comes to real ales things change abit............ When you have just connected a new barrel and you are 'pulling through' the change in beer IT IS NOT ILLEGAL to put the beer you pull out back into the barrel as long as it is the same make of ale and you have not changed it because it is out of date. Every time you change a real ale barrel you are supposed to clean the lines but you don't have to.
It is also now illegal to serve a drink into the same glass as the last one even if it is for the same person and they have asked you to! Most 'local' pubs do not pay attention to this tho'.

As to the ice thing............ You can put as much ice in as you like because on price lists it does not say a 16oz glass of coke full to the top neither does it say a 16oz glass of coke with 3 ice cubes. I do dissagree with filling the glass full of ice but people do have the option to say no ice or just abit of ice. If you always say to people 'would you like ice' then you yourself are doing nothing wrong.

Sorry for going on but this question has helped me a bit too seeing as I am looking into buying my own pub next summer and I needed my memory refreshed!

Leanne x