Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2014, 10:18 AM

Need some advice please(Meg and cats)

Holey Moley.....we've had a bit of an incident here this morning with Meg and one of next door's cat's.......O/H fed her outside while I took the kids to college,she came in leaving some of her food and next doors cat came over to steal her food,Meg clocked it, and the cat made the fence but fell off it, and Meg nailed it,apparently shook the living daylights out of it,she let it go it run behind the shed and then attempted to get to the fence she caught it again and again ragged it,it eventually got to the top of the fence and apparently fell off it,I've been and looked for said cat and can't see it anywhere,knew it was only going to be a matter of time we've had so many close calls with Meg and cats,next door isn't in and won't be back till later on,so somewhere is an injured cat,O/H tried to stop her but couldn't,he said it happened really quickly,obviously with his leg and arm he couldn't do much anyway,really not sure what to do because I can't find said cat.

I did mention to neighbour last week that her cats were becoming an issue and tormenting the dog,they sit on the fence,wall,window sills and water butt,just high enough and it's driving Meg nuts but don't think that one will be coming back over in a hurry.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-03-2014, 10:43 AM
Not much you can do about the injured cat as you can't find it. I'd talk to the neighbour and say I realise it's a cat and you can't stop them wandering wherever they choose but every time I see one in my garden or on the fence I'm going to squirt it with the hose to discourage it from entering. I realise you and the cats may not be happy with this but better a wet cat than an injured or dead cat. I can't allow my dog to be responsible for maiming or killing your cat so I'm going to scare them off with the hose every time I see them.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

20-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Oh dear poor cat having been a cat owner I know what teases they can be sitting just out of reach. Although its not nice to know your cat has been attacked it is unfortunately one of the risks you take having outside free roaming cats.
Not much you can do it has probably hidden itself up somewhere licking its wounds hopefully superficial. Let your neighbour know which I know you will and fingers crossed it isn't hurt too badly.
Trouble's idea of squirting the cat is a good one and I wouldn't of been bothered by someone doing that to any of my cats when I had them if it saved them being injured or worse.
Meg
Supervisor

20-03-2014, 12:57 PM
Oh dear Sal I have a similar problem and shout at my neighbours cats to scare them away.
When I do this Chloe joins in and barks and I am hoping the cats have got the message to stay out of the garden avoiding a full on confrontation . I would hate anyone dog or cat to come to harm.

I have explained to my neighbour what I am doing and that I wish the cats no harm.
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-03-2014, 10:06 PM
Bloody hell. My worst nightmare as a dog owner and having had my cats then my worst nightmare. I would pop a note through next doors letter box asking them to pop round and explain what happened. My cats lived till a ripe old age and it was my worst fear and to be honest Bella detests cats and luckily none appear to come in the garden now but I feel for you.

Hope your neighbours are understanding even if very upset

Cats are b*ggers to deter.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 03:02 AM
Agree with all responses above. One point ... cats often will crawl under a hedge when injured. It's where I found one of mine when (we think) it got hit by a car. But we looked for ages before finding it and it wasn't making a sound.

I've owned a dog that killed a cat (30 yrs ago) I've owned a cat that sat on the fence to torment a dog too. Worst injury inflicted on one of my cats was by another cat. Huge tom cat fight when I'd just moved house. My cats flank was ripped open. I bore no grudge against owner of other cat.

Is almost impossible to control cats. I never thought my dog could ever catch up with one she alleys chased cats. I was more careful when out with her after that. But hell if it was stealing dogs dinner in dogs own garden?

I hope it is found and isn't suffering in pain.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

21-03-2014, 09:28 AM
Agree with all the others, not a nice situation, and to be honest its up tot he cat owners to make sure they keep their cats out of danger.

When Bandit and Millie were alive, our new next door neighbour cat kept coming in through an open window, it was dicing with death if the dog saw it, they would give chase, thankfully never caught it, in the end I spoke to the neighbour and warned him I was taking drastic action, and if his cat came home soaking wet, it was me, soaking it to keep it away, he was not to happy at first, till I pointed out, better a wet cat than a dead one.

What I did is if I saw the cat in the drive, I would throw a water at it, it only took a few goes and it stopped coming in our house.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-03-2014, 12:26 PM
Keep a water pistol handy. You can reach further with that. It's what we used to have to do to stop seagulls stealing our BBQ grub down in Cornwall - stand the kids on patrol with the water pistols!