Our sister sites
Our sister sites
brusta
New Member!
Male 

06-01-2014, 02:16 PM

Cost Cutting Advise Please - Meals for our Dogs

Hi all,
Lost my job a few months back and its impacting all outgoings. Currently our 2 dogs (both approx 3 years old; Labrador and German Shepherd) are mainly on James Wellbeloved Dry Mix (Ocean Fish) 2 thirds, with the other third quantity as tinned Chappie (they like the extra moistness the Chappie adds to the Dry Mix). For now we need to see how we can rebalance the cost and the 45 pounds every 5-6 weeks for James Wellbeloved needs to be cut back. What sort of nutritional regular meal (twice a day) would be good?. They have 2 meals a day. I was thinking of keeping the Chappie and perhaps adding some creative stuff but now sure what to make up. Happy to cook/boil and source alternatives to ensure the dogs retain good nutritional meals. Help greatly appreciated. Maybe a quantity of James Wellbeloved still mixed with something else and Chappie?. All ideas considered for sure...
Many thanks
Bru
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Hi Bru , I am sorry to hear of our situation.
I am afraid changing food that agrees with a dog particularly for a cheaper food can be counter productive because it can cause tummy upsets and vets visits are clearly something to avoid right now.

You could try approaching local butchers for any cheap off cuts or fish monger for fish bits including skins (the later can be baked till crisp).

I would also weigh your dogs and measure out the daily food allowance very carefully to make sure they are not being given too much.

I wish I could be of more help.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2014, 02:57 PM
My mum used to feed skinners Field and trail. It was the cheapest food that I liked when she got her black lab about 2 years ago. Not sure about the quality now but worth checking.
She now just feeds chappie (or adds in asda's own mixer) it's a constant argument between us at the moment.
My own dog is fed on raw, not sure how you feel about that. He has some expensive meats such as rabbit and duck as well as lamb and turkey because of his allergies, but chicken and beef aren't as much, or even tripe. You can get mixed boxes from DAF pet foods for less as well. Shame my dog can't have these.
If your planning on home cooked foods then I'm afraid I have no idea on how to balance them or what is best to feed. I also think it might be quite expensive, but having never done it I don't really know.
Meg
Supervisor

06-01-2014, 03:06 PM
There are a number of companies selling meat for a raw diet but I have no idea if this would cost less for two large dogs and of course you need freezer space for raw feeding ..
Here is just one in your area..
http://www.manifoldvalleymeats.co.uk...diet-products/

More information in our raw section here..
Raw Feeding
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Having a nose round for vouchers, discount codes and online offers from different places is always useful - I know JWB often have discounts available

Buying in bulk (if you don't already) can help too.
Speaking to butchers or fishmongers for any bits and offcuts for free or cheap, getting in contact with landowners with rabbit pest problems, asking friends and family if they have any meat lying around at the back of their freezer they don't intend to use, or (might be a bit extreme!) finding fresh-ish roadkill
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Find a friendly butcher and lots of people get chicken carcasses etc for free or minimal amount. Apparently Halal butchers are very good, it costs nothing to ask.
brusta
New Member!
Male 

06-01-2014, 03:25 PM
skinners Field and Trail seems a reasonable price but our dogs arent really working dogs.. Would it be ok?. Anyone use/like it?
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by brusta View Post
skinners Field and Trail seems a reasonable price but our dogs arent really working dogs.. Would it be ok?. Anyone use/like it?
Not used skinners before, but most of the dry food I've used has been for working dogs (fish4dogs working, autarky, millies wolfheart) and none of mine work
VAT free and nothing majory different to normal food mostly

I'll use fish4dogs just as an example here.
Ingredients for the "regular" food:
Ocean White Fish (28%), Potato (21%), Pea Flour (19%), Salmon Meal (11.2%), Salmon Oil (10.8%), Beet Pulp, Brewers Yeast, Minerals

Ingredients for the working version:
Ocean White Fish (28%), Potato (21%), Pea Flour (19%), Salmon Meal (11.2%), Salmon Oil (10.8%), Beet Pulp, Brewers Yeast, Minerals

Exactly the same lol!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Often it is just the same as their other food but no VAT added! So working food would be better for your budget anyway!
Have a quick check of ingredients in the 'flavour' and if your unsure you can post them here.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-01-2014, 03:50 PM
Have a look on this site, you can compare foods and average prices on here and see which one might be comparable...

http://www.whichdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >