Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 12:38 AM

Varifocal glasses anyone?

Earlier this year had eyes tested and I need glasses for driving/distance and reading can't seem to have the right pair at the right time. So thought what about varifocals .....anyone wear them? I understand that unlike bifocals that have a "line" dividing distance to reading the vari's are distance top blending to middle to reading at the bottom the key being the blending of the glass rather than the top bottom.

Have seen spec savers have an offer on try varifocals and if not suitable 30 days to exchange for normal etc. Just wondered good bad experiences?
plumpkin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2013, 01:26 AM
I got them last year and hated them, so went to a diffrent opticians and got two pairs of ordinary glasses. However i am now sitting here wearing my varifocals, as much easier than keep changing glasses, what i would say is thry take a while to get used to and pick frames with a deep glass area, so you have more room for each prsecription if that makes sense !
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 01:37 AM
See its the swopping that drives me mental.
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 07:38 AM
I have had sun sensitive varifocals for years wouldn't wear anything else. once you get used to them you will see what I mean.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 09:12 AM
If you had asked me 2 years ago, I would have said don't do it!
But now I love them, never think about them and would never have anything else.
Go for it and persevere!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2013, 09:56 AM
I wish I could wear varifocals instead of needing four different pairs of specs but I am so used to swapping them now that it is automatic.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Hi Kazz I tried them a few years ago and persevered for three weeks during which time I fell downstairs twice and spent my time feeling totally disorientated.

Every person is different, some get on really well with them the only way to know is to try them for yourself .

Mine came from Boots Opticians, I have been told that the better the quality of the spectacle the more chance you will have of adapting to them. I don't think mine were particularly good quality.

Now I muddle along with about four different lots of specs of various ages and strengths

The last pair I had were half lenses, they have been useful for reading/sewing because I can look down to read then peer over the top
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:42 AM
Have had varifocal glasses for some years now. Did have a problem once & they changed them. Apart from that time I've always got on well with them.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 11:48 AM
I'm long sighted Kazz which means on and off on and off with the specs (drives me nuts and I have to have some in my car, in my bag, every where!) Because I can't see where I'm going with them on if walking or driving but can't read without them whether it's monitor screen, books, price tickets, anything. I've usually got a pair perched on my head and it's quite funny seeing me looking for them when I'm wearing them atop the bonce!

I had some vari's made for me when working as a quality auditor requiring me to read inscribing about one thousandth of an inch (thro magnifiers) but hell I had to take those off just as often. I could NOT get used to the way you have to tilt your head slightly up for one and down for the other and within a week of wearing them I'd fallen down stairs twice! Glance down misjudge it and crash! They also made me feel 'slightly tipsy' sort of giddy as my eyes adjusted quickly between the two.

Yet I've got a good friend who has worn them happily for years. But they are very short sighted and can't see a thing without their glasses. So are used to wearing specs all the time. I'm not.

I thank the age of technology for inventing KINDLES where you can increase the font size to huge - it means I can take it outside or to the beach and wear sunglasses and read! Previously I had to keep swapping to do that too - huge floppy had and specs for reading, then sunnies for walking around and swimming.

Thing is they are quite expensive so if you have to pay for them they can be a lot of money wasted if you can't get on with them.

My employers paid for mine as they were needed specifically for the job I did. Still ended up ditching them!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Originally Posted by Moyra View Post
I have had sun sensitive varifocals for years wouldn't wear anything else. once you get used to them you will see what I mean.
Was that a play on words..............

Seriously never thought of the sun sensitive sort may try those thanks.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »