Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

18-11-2013, 05:13 PM

How do you deal with other people's 'aggressive' dogs

..dogs that are on lead, but always lunge/bark at your dog?

There is a dog (a lab) around here who got attacked when he was a pup, and now he has become very aggressive towards other dogs. He's always on a lead, but lunges and barks a lot at other dogs. Which often then gets a response from the other dog.

What would you do in this situation?

I am thinking about taking a brolly out with us (when I go with our neighbour and their dog for a walk) - and using that so that the other dog can't see my neighbour's dog. Wonder if it will work
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2013, 05:37 PM
I can't say that it's something that happens to me tbh but i'd just cross the road or give him a wide berth depending on where we were and calmly walk past telling my dogs to "walk on".
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2013, 08:44 PM
If they are on leads I tell mine to be calm, not to worry and we pass them best we can. If they are off lead well Betty is swung in the air and I catch her as she comes back down and keep her high as I can, and poor Mollie has to make do with me getting between her and the other dog.

Not best way to deal with it I know but with two and one too big for me to pick up I don't feel much choice.

I do now carry a hair spray in my bag but found the time it took me to get it out was way too long when a dog is approaching at speed.

I have had a couple of aggressive dogs myself and they were never allowed to be a nuisance to anyone else I cannot understand people not keeping them on leads and under control !
Dogloverlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Well, owning a dog myself that does lunge/bark at other dogs out on walks, I can say the most helpful thing other dog owners can do is give us a wide berth. While I appreciate that loose dogs are going to be an issue seen as we walk in fields where off lead dogs are obviously going to be, I do appreciate those owners that take into consideration my dog's behaviour.

If your neighbours dog is not that bothered by the reactive dog ( I've often found this to be the case. Rarely does a dog pay my dog any attention when she's reacting ) then I'd just keep your distance and walk on by, not really making a huge deal of it. Up to you whether you carry a brolly or not, but might be more hassle then it's worth and will mean pausing by the reactive dog or in sight of the reactive dog to put it up I'm presuming? All things that will make passing more troublesome then it has to be.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

19-11-2013, 07:22 AM
I try to find a space tuck Dillon in is as best I can behind me or close to my side and let the dog pass. This is only any good if the other dog is on lead.
I did have a terrier come at him the other day so again he was put to my side I managed to get his head facing the other way so he was back end to the dog and then I put my foot out to keep it at bay while its owner stood there shouting for it to go back into its garden. Luckily so far Dillon doesn't react and we haven't met a big dog off lead that is aggressive and I hope I never do.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2013, 09:58 AM
I'd give them as much room as I could. I'm lucky mine aren't bothered by other dogs barking/lunging.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Banana will lunge and bark at others dogs when in very close proximity, what the people with the other dogs often don't realise (and I'm not saying anyone on here) is that their dogs are giving her the direct stare and stiff body language that she see's as a threat, any non confrontational dog she will happily sit with, walk past etc no problem....
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2013, 10:09 AM
So it's the peaceful dogs at fault ? I never saw it that way when I had DA dogs it was mine kicking off and no way could I blame anyone else.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2013, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
So it's the peaceful dogs at fault ? I never saw it that way when I had DA dogs it was mine kicking off and no way could I blame anyone else.
That isn't what I said
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2013, 10:27 AM
No but you did say non confrontational dogs were OK, mine go stiff legged and stare they are so excited to see a possible friend and want to meet them and say hello, hardly confrontational as they are both extremely friendly. If they are met with aggression that is your dog misinterpreting their moves.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >