Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
weaver76
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 03:49 PM

Possible Cruciate ligament / Hip Dysplasia diagnosis :(

Hi all. I am just looking for anyone that may have had a dog with a cruciate ligament problem or hip dysplasia problem. My American bulldog x Staffy has been to the vets and diagnosed with possibly either or both of these problems. He is on 2 weeks crate rest and then will get 3 X-rays to confirm the problem. He does not appear to be in pain and lets me massage his leg and hips. He is just a bit sad that he can't come for walks with his girlfriend collie I've read a lot online and it seems that some people have opted for surgery and it hasn't always helped, some have opted for rehabilitation and management and this can work but obviously the problem could reoccur. I'd just like to know if there are any doggy lovers out there that have been through this and I'm looking for advice. I will also seek a second vet opinion after X-rays before making any decisions. He is in good shape otherwise, a healthy weight and is currently un-neutered at 2 years old.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 04:08 PM
Hey Weaver,sorry can't offer any advice but while you're waiting on other members,maybe take a look down some of the threads in dog health on this condition.Loads of info on there Sure someone will be along shortly with experience I wish your dog well(( hugs))
weaver76
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Hey Weaver,sorry can't offer any advice but while you're waiting on other members,maybe take a look down some of the threads in dog health on this condition.Loads of info on there Sure someone will be along shortly with experience I wish your dog well(( hugs))
Thanks, I've just been having a little read through some threads which has helped a little. It's so hard seeing your dog unable to run
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Poor guy but I have heard great success stories and you will too Whats his name?
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2013, 04:24 PM
My american bull x staffy has had crutiate surgery and also has mild hip dysplasia so if i can help answer any of your queries i will. my girl had surgery for her crutiate for her it was a long road to recovery but her rupture was missed for a long time by the vet. i hope everything goes well for u and your boy
weaver76
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 04:26 PM
Thanks Kat14778.

We haven't yet got him back in his crate as he seems to get more over excited when he is in it! He is much more content on his sofa, it is not a high sofa and we help him up and down.He has been using his leg a little today whilst pottering in the backyard. But mostly holds it up when moving from yard back to his sofa. The vet said that the "drawer" movement on his leg was not too bad, but was actually more concerned about his hips, either way it could be a long road, but I'm prepared to ride it with him!
weaver76
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 04:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Poor guy but I have heard great success stories and you will too Whats his name?
His name is Buddy. I have my fingers crossed and I am staying positive about it all!!

Wish I knew how to post a photo on this thread for you, he is gorgeous !
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 05:24 PM
Hello Weaver - I feel for you because it is horrible having to curtail an active dog's normal routine, but in this case it is absolutely necessary isn't it.

I know nothing about hip dysplasia, but if your boy is confirmed to have ruptured his cruciate then I can recommend surgery. Either way, whatever you decide, it will be a long road and there are no guarantees for a permanent solution.

However, our last dog had the op and after a few months of strict care she was back to normal. She did eventually have arthritis in that leg, but it was successfully managed for some considerable time.

I wish you all the luck in the world, and look forward to a pic.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

12-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Hi welcome to Dogsey my boy was diagnosed with a possible cruciate ligament problem at 6months old and we had to rest him for him for 6 weeks a nightmare. We were referred to the Veterinary college for x-rays. Even before x-ray the orthopedic surgeon decided it was not cruciate but possible mild hip dysplasia x-rays confirmed mild hip dysplasia his cruciate ligaments were fine.

He is now almost two very energetic and you wouldn't know he has mild hip dysplasia he has a joint supplement daily to help. It may well effect him in later years but for now he is doing fine.

Wishing your boy the best.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 05:49 PM
My staffy is just recovering from a partial rupture of her cruciate. She had two week absolutely no walks and is now doing two weeks on lead walks. Fingers crossed for your dog.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >