Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2013, 10:17 AM

Nighttime leaks

Hi All
My 13 year old speyed bitch has started suffering from night time leaks following a bout of cystitis which was treated with antibiotics and anti imflammatories.
Does anyone else have any experience of this?
Thanks
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2013, 10:26 AM
Take her to the vet, hopefully if it is a slight weakening of her sphincter then they can prescribe meds that can support that very easily and cheaply

Not saying it is that, just it could be and if it is it's easily sorted (my girl started leaking after steroids and the syrup sorted it immediately)

Also it's worth checking it's nothing else of course
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Hi Jo a little urinary incontinence is not at all unusual in older spayed bitches.

I would talk to your vet about Propalyn syrup.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2013, 12:50 PM
Awww our Mollie is like this we elected not to use drugs, although you may find them helpful and instead just made her a really easy to wash bed using an old thinnish duvet I can get into the washing machine.

Wet wipes clean her up in the morning and a warm bath every few days keeps her smelling nice.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2013, 01:40 PM
I have had 3 bitches like this, dene's Greenleaf tablet worked for Samantha but not Dixie and Gracie, Propolin worked for them. When I first got Gracie the rescue didn't tell me she had this problem, she was on this for all the 5.5 years she was with me. Gracie was 17.5 years old when she went to the Bridge. My dogs sleep on my bed so I needed then dry, I did have puppy pads with fleece blankets on top.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Rio my female Dobermann developed incontinence after a bout of uti and struvite crystals when she was 6. Unfortunately it wasn't a little trickle and it wasn't just overnight, she actually stopped going for a wee outside as she was constantly weeing while resting etc. Propalin was originally given 3 times a day at 0.70ml each time she now only has 0.40ml once a day and is dry day and night. I wasn't keen on going down the drugs for life route and tried various natural remedies which made no difference at all. My vet has asked me to try only giving the syrup on alternate days but tbh after having new carpets fitted I'm not too keen and we're in a routine of a daily dose where as alternate days might get forgotten. I'm happy to continue reducing the daily amount gradually to see how she does. Seriously the propalin has been a godsend.
Imana-Banana
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Both Ima and her sister are on it, Ima isn't too bad but her sister had no control at all, for us too the Propalyn has been fantastic.

Our vet told us that it is one of the least invasive and yet most effective drugs you can get, especially as it's long term use, plus it's something as you have found that you can monitor and reduce to the lowest dose yourself
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-10-2013, 12:06 AM
Thank you everyone for your replies, always nice to get "hands on " experience and advice. I've ordered some CSJ Hold It to try as it seems to have a good success rate and is very natural but if that doesn't work I will get some syrup for her