Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2013, 11:39 AM

Sore lips

Poor ol' Doug has sores on his lips After doing a bit of "googling" it seems he has lip fold dermatitis. He has what appears to be a classic case.......sore on the lower lip on both sides, sort of in-line with where the upper canine teeth are.
I only noticed that he might have a problem when my other 2 dogs started taking a great interest in Dougs mouth, sniffing him.
I've been bathing the areas in saline solution.......one side had some pus in the sore......that is much cleaner now, but if it reappears I will take him to the vet as he may need some ABs.
I've also trimmed the hair in this area. I understand that this can't be cured as such so more a case of managing it and keeping the area as clean as possible.
Has anyone else had this problem with their dogs?
Any recommendations for any cream I should be using for it?
I would be grateful for any tips in dealing with this. Thanks in advance.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-10-2013, 01:09 PM
Hello Sharon I have had dogs with LFD.
I trimmed and bathed the area with saline/dried well /applied a cream from the vet.
I would visit the vet rather than using over the counter creams.

Other tips, keep the teeth clean and once it has cleared up regularly wipe the area with saline and dry with kitchen roll.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2013, 02:34 PM
Thanks Mini.
Is the type of thing that will clear up for a while, but likely to recur or is it a constant thing?
Can you remember what the cream from the vet was?
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

06-10-2013, 03:03 PM
Aw sorry to hear that, Sharon. I googled and came up with this from someone on another forum, but not sure if it would be of any use - "You don't think it could be diet do you (I guess if it is so localised then it sort of rules it out)?

Odd question but does he dribble in his sleep? And does he sleep on his side or do heavy nose syndrome? Could it possibly be that?

I'd be tempted tobathe with saline and maybe use a generic soothing cream with anti bac properties. Something like dermacton which I really rate"

Not sure if that is of any help!

Hugs to Doug xx
Meg
Supervisor

06-10-2013, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by parsonsmum View Post
Thanks Mini.
Is the type of thing that will clear up for a while, but likely to recur or is it a constant thing?
Can you remember what the cream from the vet was?
Hi Sharon the worse case I had was in a Cocker Spaniel, it smelt horrible, 'fishy'. At first I thought it was an anal gland problem.

It was was a long time ago and I can't remember which cream Carrie was prescribed but it cleared it up completely .
I checked and cleaned her mouth daily after the infection cleared.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-10-2013, 06:45 PM
Hi Rose! I read that same thread via google. Doug doesn't dribble in his sleep and I don't know what "heavy nose syndrome" is
I have used Dermacton on Doug in the past and it is very good........I used it for itchy skin but not sure if it is appropriate to use so near his mouth? I'll have to check it out. Thanks for your input.

Hi Mini! Yes Doug has been smelly.........my son was saying a week or so ago that Dougs breath stinks.......I put it down to the tripe he'd been eating.
Maybe a trip to the vet then to see what he says re cream.
jeagibear
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2013, 07:36 AM
Good luck...and Please keep us informed. I hadn't heard of this before. Thanks for sharing.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-10-2013, 08:08 AM
How is Doug's mouth now - did you end up taking him to the vet? I do hope it has cleared up now.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2013, 01:03 PM
Dougs lips are much better, but not fully healed.
The sore area is a lot smaller and there's no pus so I haven't taken him to the vet, as what I'm doing seems to be working, just taking longer than I thought.
I bathe his lips with saline and apply an antiseptic cream......I have a feeling this might be an ongoing/recurring problem.
Doug is fine in himself and thank goodness he's stopped scratching his lips! Oh and the smell has gone, another reason to think there's no infection there.

Thank you for asking Malka.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

18-10-2013, 01:07 PM
I am so pleased to hear that Doug's lips seem to be healing, so in the event that it is an ongoing/recurring problem at least you know how to treat it now.

And I am glad that he does not have a smelly mouth now!