View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2013, 11:01 AM

Opinions on Skinner's Field and Trial please.

Tonks is fed on Wafcol Salmon and potato which suits her well but I find it a bit of a pain as I have to order it via amazon, and it's inconvenient if I miss the order as I have to arrange redelivery or it gets left with a neighbour and I feel I'm imposing as that happens regularly.

So I've looked around at other sensitive diets and they all seem to have chicken in, which she is allergic to, apart from Skinner's Field and Trial Salmon and Rice. I live a five minute walk from a Scatts and it's sold there so it would be very convenient, but I'm not going to change her if it's no good. I don't know all the technical stuff about dog food really so would like opinions from people who do please.

Analytical Constituents

Crude protein 20%
Crude oils and fats 12%
Crude fibres 3.5%
Crude ash 5.5%

Composition

Whole rice 40%
Salmon meat meal 17.5% dry weight
Naked oats
Peas
Whole linseed
Sunflower oil
Beet pulp
Vitamins and trace elements.

Tonks will be six in January and has an hour - an hour and a half walk a day...and she will be running for at least 3/4 oft that time.
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-10-2013, 12:10 PM
I had a quick look for you on whichdogfood.com but they didn't have a right up about it , but they have given it 3 stars out of 5 for both user and expert.

Although Kibo is raw fed, when he was a pup he was on Skinners puppy which I kept him on until he was about 8 months old. IMO he did well on it, it's a reasonable price too.Maybe it's worth a try with a small bag first rather than a 15k one?

HTH a wee bit? BTW, if you register with them on their website they send you vouchers now and again for £5 off.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-10-2013, 07:52 PM
Thanks for that. I've bought a small bag and we'll see how she gets on.....and I'll keep watching here to see if anyone else comments. : )
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 06:59 AM
Remember you are feeding salmon & potato which is bland , Skinners is salmon & "rice", also bland but the rice is something some dogs react to - just a thought. We tried it at one stage & it didnt agree with any of our dogs
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 07:01 AM
I have two bags of their duck and rice that one of my dogs won in an agility competition sponsored by Skinners but I won't give it to my dogs - it's going to a local rescue kennels!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Skinners are very good, but it all depends on what your dog can tolerate..........as Velvetboxers said, salmon and potato is excellent for dogs who are sensitive to various ingredients and the Skinners one would be useless for, say, our dog Jimmi. He reacts to rice and any grains.

Perhaps Tonks will be fine with it if it is only animal protein that he cannot cope with - time will tell!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I have two bags of their duck and rice that one of my dogs won in an agility competition sponsored by Skinners but I won't give it to my dogs - it's going to a local rescue kennels!
Why won't you feed it to yours...just out of interest.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2013, 07:27 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Skinners are very good, but it all depends on what your dog can tolerate..........as Velvetboxers said, salmon and potato is excellent for dogs who are sensitive to various ingredients and the Skinners one would be useless for, say, our dog Jimmi. He reacts to rice and any grains.

Perhaps Tonks will be fine with it if it is only animal protein that he cannot cope with - time will tell!
I'm glad it's good...we'll see how she gets on. She's just starting on her steroids again which will help her. She had to come off them so she could have some non steroidal anti inflammatories for her injured cruciate. She is on a very low dose every other day but stopping it made her ears really itchy and it seemed to affect her hearing too. The vet had a look at them today and he said one is particularly inflamed.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-10-2013, 07:14 AM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Why won't you feed it to yours...just out of interest.
I don't think it's good enough for them! It's certainly not as good as their current food.
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-10-2013, 08:49 AM
I feed Skinners maintenance to my springer during the summer and then transfer to Skinners Gundog Muesli for the shooting season. I find the rep very knowledgeable and pleasant to talk to.

I find the muesli gives her an incredible shine to her coat too

Another firm I like, but I don't know the local rep (and I'm happy with my Skinners) is CSJ Animal Feeds. They do lots of combinations and protein levels. Where I used to live, the rep just kept a supply at his house and would also order in for customers and you spoke and bought directly from him.