Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 03:44 PM

Advice please :-)

Me and hubby been looking at getting a "Furminator" as they supposed to help with loose fur. What do you all think of them and also which one do we get? They do long hair and short hair. Rosie is a collie/Dalmatian cross. So her body is smooth but has a scruff round her neck and is also fluffy on her back legs ( hubby has likened her to a lion lol ) so am confused which do I get, if they are any good? Thanks in advance
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-09-2013, 04:15 PM
My dogs have lots of hair and I have had a try at everything, borrowing friend's brushes when we meet up at shows. The one that won by a mile is the undercoat rake you can get from pets@home.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-09-2013, 04:35 PM
Thanks, will have a look at that one.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-09-2013, 04:56 PM
I use a shedding blade on Pereg - she has short hair but is double coated and has longer [and coarser] hair on her scruff.
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2013, 03:21 PM
I have a furminator and I swear by it! It gets loads and loads out!
I will admit I bought it on amazon (much cheaper) and when it came I was very worried, it looked sharp and I had seen reviews that said it clipped the coat, so while my OH was looking the other way I tried it on him (since he has much shorter hair than me!). It didn't get a single hair out and while he was surprised he said it didn't hurt.
I am careful that I don't press on too hard but it's fantastic! I bought another one for my mum's black lab but I think they used it a bit harshly and now he hates it! My dog thinks it's fine but generally doesn't like standing long for anything.
If you look around you can get them for about £10 (we have the older one, but works great). In pet shops they can be upto £50, which I couldn't spend on a brush.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Originally Posted by SarahJade View Post
I have a furminator and I swear by it! It gets loads and loads out!
I will admit I bought it on amazon (much cheaper) and when it came I was very worried, it looked sharp and I had seen reviews that said it clipped the coat, so while my OH was looking the other way I tried it on him (since he has much shorter hair than me!). It didn't get a single hair out and while he was surprised he said it didn't hurt.
I am careful that I don't press on too hard but it's fantastic! I bought another one for my mum's black lab but I think they used it a bit harshly and now he hates it! My dog thinks it's fine but generally doesn't like standing long for anything.
If you look around you can get them for about £10 (we have the older one, but works great). In pet shops they can be upto £50, which I couldn't spend on a brush.

Like the way you give it a test run on OH,before the dog!!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post

Like the way you give it a test run on OH,before the dog!!
It looked scary and I would never want to hurt my dog.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 03:30 PM
Will be laughing at that all day,sounds like something I would do Well we have to have our priorities right Thankyou for brightening my day
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Haha I like your thinking

Thanks you have helped make my mind up