Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 09:53 PM

Jimmi has the shakes

We have had the Jimster for nearly four years now, and he has always had the odd tremor in a leg.......much as many dogs have; he has also always tended to twitch violently when asleep, but only if stretched out. If he curls into a ball he sleeps peacefully with no big jerking tics.

During the past few days, he has started to shake quite dramatically for no apparent reason at odd times of the day. He will come in to the room and sit beside me and his whole body will tremble quite dramatically. It is not dissimilar to "excitement" shaking, which he does when dinner is about to be served or a walk is in the offing, but now he is doing it regularly for no reason at all. Since we have had him, he has loved to sleep.....he can sleep for England.......but this has gone up a notch too, and now after his walk first thing he sleeps for the rest of the day, with just a brief wake up for a mid day snack and a wee.

I have googled, and tried to sort out the bewildering answers, but perhaps it is just due to old age He saw the vet last week for his six monthly check, and his heart and lungs etc. are all fine. but the vet did say that he had no intention of doing anything with him unless it was strictly necessary due to his possible elderliness. Oh heck, once again, I just WISH I knew how old this dog really is.

I may give him a ring about this, but given that in all other respects he is fine, I wonder if there is any point really.

Has anyone else had this with their dog??
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 09:55 PM
I've never even heard of it. But will for sure now be googling to try to find out about it!

I'm glad he is otherwise all OK.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Tang, googling leads to neurological problems etc. etc.

No - I will rephrase that, googling per se doesn't lead to neurological problems, googling about shaking dogs does.

Yes, he is otherwise okay but just sleeps. If I knew that he was 18 or something, then I would just put it down to extreme age.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
Tang, googling leads to neurological problems etc. etc.

No - I will rephrase that, googling per se doesn't lead to neurological problems, googling about shaking dogs does.

Yes, he is otherwise okay but just sleeps. If I knew that he was 18 or something, then I would just put it down to extreme age.
Oh I see. Well I guess it's only when they are obviously getting on a bit that you start wishing you knew their exact age?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 10:15 PM
Yes - I have been fretting about this age thing on and off for a while now, and this shaking thing has rather set it off again.
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 10:16 PM
Poor wee Jimmi Just googled for 2 mins Best not I think,some scarey stuff on there...thinking you'll be worrying about so should have it checked,could turn out to be nothing serious but at least you'll know.
Was looking at low blood sugar.
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 10:23 PM
I know Eileen, googling is not a good idea sometimes If he is still doing it as badly on Monday, then I will ring the vet to see what he says.

It was the brain thing that scared me Especially as he does tend to dig into his ears quite a lot, and he has had them checked under anaesthetic and there is nothing there.

Googling is bad!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Give a hug from me.Hope you both have a good nights sleep
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2013, 11:17 PM
When any of ours have did this, it has been a sign of pain or discomfort of some sort
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-09-2013, 06:43 AM
Sally I am so sorry to be reading this about little Jimmi and desperately hope that it is nothing of concern. How old do you 'think' he is?
My last little dog slept for England when she go older and displayed some pretty strange behaviour/involuntary movements. All you can do really is speak to the vet on Monday to check that it is not a reaction to pain. Surely if it was he'd become more clingy or unsettled Big (((hugs))) to you both and I'll be watching this thread for updates.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »