Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sandyq
New Member!
Female 

09-07-2013, 07:42 AM

Pup discovered hedehogs under shed !!

Hi all. Another problem with our one year old crossbreed pup, she has discovered a family of hedgehogs living under our garden shed. She barks when they appear in the evening and I have to put her on a lead to bring her in, is always sniffing around the shed. Does anyone have tips on how to discourage/or get her to accept the hedgehogs. I think she wants to play with them but I am frightened that she may hurt the babies.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2013, 07:49 AM
Hi The best thing to do is contact a wildlife hospital Tiggy Winkles or wildlife centre and ask there advice,lucky you to have hedgehogs they are becoming scarce.Gemini54
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2013, 07:56 AM
The RSPCA will be able to tell you if there is a hedgehog rescue near you, that is what I did with a baby hedgehog that was in danger from my dogs
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-07-2013, 08:05 AM
The problem is if the dog does what Pereg does when she sees one - if it is out of reach she goes nuts trying to reach it, and if it is within reach she tried to pick it up and ends up with a nose and mouth full of spines.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-07-2013, 08:13 AM
Ah hedgehogs.... my boy thinks they are awesome and wants to keep one as a pet and insists on trying to take them in the house. We currently have one living in the shed and boyf literally 5mins ago sent me a picture of one that was out on the garden path just now which must be one of the babies (im assuming the boy pinched it out of the shed!) He is incredibly gentle and has never had a spine yet. The hedgehogs come back every year so they cant mind too much He gets told to put them down of course and discouraged but he just cant help himself sometimes! Same with the chicken he likes to chase her now and then till she stops then has a snarf and a lick (much to her disgust) then loses interest.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2013, 12:00 PM
I'm sure one of those societies will be able to advise you. We had a huge male hedgehog in the garden last October and I have no idea how it got in as we are fully fenced Both dogs raced over to it and Flash's nose touched a spine and he never went near it again.

However we did move it into the field opposite as I didn't think it would have much of a life here.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2013, 12:13 PM
I have a hedgehog living under my shed. It comes out every evening at 8.30 and goes round the garden. The only problem is its me that is totally phobic of hedgehogs so at 8pm every night I have to shut and lock all the doors and not go out in the garden again.
I am totally fed up of not being able to sit in my garden on these lovely warm evenings and I now have to walk Lily for her night time toilet as I am scared she will get it or catch fleas or ticks from it.
I asked Charly to take it while Ash is here and let it go over the woods in the country park but she wouldn't in case it has babies under the shed.
The thought of even more hedgehogs just makes me shudder.
s7eph
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2013, 01:02 PM
My Fred drives me mad ! he hears them outside and goes mad to get to them, he then tries to kill them and i have to drag him in and clean all the blood from round his mouth, you'd think the bloody things would learn not to come into garden !! (Fred is a french bulldog and we live in rurual france so hedgehogs everywhere!!)
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2013, 01:48 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Ah hedgehogs.... my boy thinks they are awesome and wants to keep one as a pet and insists on trying to take them in the house. We currently have one living in the shed and boyf literally 5mins ago sent me a picture of one that was out on the garden path just now which must be one of the babies (im assuming the boy pinched it out of the shed!) He is incredibly gentle and has never had a spine yet. The hedgehogs come back every year so they cant mind too much He gets told to put them down of course and discouraged but he just cant help himself sometimes! Same with the chicken he likes to chase her now and then till she stops then has a snarf and a lick (much to her disgust) then loses interest.
Awww your dog is lovely
so was my GSD too
years ago, when my friends and me had a night out at a bonfire, having some beer craic & laughter
Attila was just free running around, as I could let him run around, he never had cased for rabbits or whatever, but always brought me very gently, tail wagging a hedgehog between his teeth, he found somewhere out in the fields
well a nice gift of him, but for that I used to bring thick leather gloves with me, for to bring the hedgehog back

yet, Balou only found one in the meadow in front of the house at night
she only barked quickly very strange and left the place again, so I got a torch and checked what that strange barking caused
well, a lovely hedgehog which not once was rolled up, so I guess Balou was more scared of that funny animal and upset about than that hedgehog itself

lucky you when you have hedgehogs in your garden, as they just love the snails, you certainly do not love
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-07-2013, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by madmare View Post
I have a hedgehog living under my shed. It comes out every evening at 8.30 and goes round the garden. The only problem is its me that is totally phobic of hedgehogs so at 8pm every night I have to shut and lock all the doors and not go out in the garden again.
I am totally fed up of not being able to sit in my garden on these lovely warm evenings and I now have to walk Lily for her night time toilet as I am scared she will get it or catch fleas or ticks from it.
I asked Charly to take it while Ash is here and let it go over the woods in the country park but she wouldn't in case it has babies under the shed.
The thought of even more hedgehogs just makes me shudder.
oh poor you
having a phobia of them must be teribble, at all as you cannot change it?
and what's more beautiful than to enjoy late nice and warm summer evenings out in the garden?

but you have not to worry about the ticks, they wont move over to your dog
and when she is preventively protected of fleas, she shouldn't also get any of them

mine used to get fleas of the neighbour cats, which caused a real problem to her
got allergic, skin probs / fur
then I went to my vet for, as frontline wasn't working really anymore
I got tablets for her, which are working brilliant!
no one flea seen since
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >