Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
annevalerie1
New Member!
Female 

15-06-2013, 05:05 PM

Worried about my dog

Oh dear, sorry that my first post is something very serious. My 2 yr. old border collie mix has recently shown signs of aggression to humans, including children. No bites, but today chased a 10 year old playmate of my grandson. He just barely got away, with Nikkita snapping at his behind.

She has been seeing a trainer regularly.

The thought of having to put her down is unbearable. She is loving and sweet with me. Advice?

Thank you,
Nikkita's mom
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2013, 05:22 PM
Was the little boy running when this happened? They are a working dog and she may have been herding him.

We need to know a lot more information before we can give any sort of insight or advice. When you say signs of aggression, what exactly is happening?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2013, 05:58 PM
I agree with what Timber says but also want to add that she needs to be kept away from children and on lead on walks and when visitors are with you until you have worked out what is happening and how to deal with it.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2013, 06:06 PM
First things first, full veterinary check up heart, eyes etc etc medical problems should be ruled out first
Laurabehjet
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-06-2013, 06:08 PM
I believe this is herding behaviour.
I have a collie as well, never ever allow them to chase children.
If my son is running round we immediately distract our collie wih a ball and play fetch with her, she is never allowed to chase people because as with your dog she might start nipping at them.
In future, I would keep her on a lead around kids, that way if you start to notice any stalking/herding type behaviour like staring or crouching down you can immediately intercept it and move the dog away or direct it into a game of fetch.
I doubt it's aggression, I think it's herding instinct but without more details its difficult to say.
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2013, 06:33 PM
First a full vet check including bloods, once you know there isn't a health problem then you can work on the behaviour.

Safety must always come first so she will have to be managed until she is fine.

I do need more information before I can give any help, the more the better.

How much exercise does she get?

What food is she fed and how often?

What training does she get and what type?

How do the children interact with her? Do they play with her, if so how?

Until we can give advice she must not be allowed off lead with children and never left alone with them. I find in these situations that a house lead helps, I can pick the lead up and lead the dog away which is much kinder on the dog. Always take it off if she is being left on her own.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
I agree with what Timber says but also want to add that she needs to be kept away from children and on lead on walks and when visitors are with you until you have worked out what is happening and how to deal with it.
Strongly agree with that.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-06-2013, 11:46 PM
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

What food is she fed and how often?
Why do trainers always ask what the dog is fed? I'm not challenging you, I am truly just curious.

I hope the OP comes back with more info.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
Why do trainers always ask what the dog is fed? I'm not challenging you, I am truly just curious.

I hope the OP comes back with more info.
Not a trainer but I've always assumed it is because additives in certain foods can cause problems. Years ago I used Pedigree dry food for my pup when I changed to the Junior version he was as high as a kite!!
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2013, 06:25 AM
I changed the diet of my dog when we first got him out of rescue kennels to an additive free diet and watched him calm down within an hour or so. Certain food items can have a profound affect on dogs behaviour.

Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
Not a trainer but I've always assumed it is because additives in certain foods can cause problems. Years ago I used Pedigree dry food for my pup when I changed to the Junior version he was as high as a kite!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >