View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2013, 03:11 PM

How do I persuade OH we NEED another dog???

I have two fab Springers, one 7 and one 20 month old and until about a year ago I was also fostering for a rescue for several years. I would love to give a home to another dog but so far have no joy in getting my OH to agree. Anyone got any useful ideas on what might persuade him round to my way of thinking?

I love dogs of all sorts and just feel that we have the room, means and ability to love and nurture another dog, and can't understand his refusal.

(He has said that we can have another dog, but one of the existing ones has to go But only because he knows there's no chance of that happening. More chance of him being swapped really!!)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Perhaps your OH knows that you do not really need another dog, it is just that you want one.

Like someone with two, three, or more children who just wants another baby but says she needs one?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2013, 03:42 PM

So the age old tradition of bating the eyelashes isn't working?
Not sure you NEED another dog, but certainly seem to want one and a rescue one,good for you!
What harm could it do to ask him to join you at the rescue centre, just for"a little look"!! Seeing dogs that need a home pulls at the heart strings,if you get my drift!
Millysmum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Perhaps your OH knows that you do not really need another dog, it is just that you want one.

Like someone with two, three, or more children who just wants another baby but says she needs one?
Nice comparison, but we've had five children
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Millysmum View Post
Nice comparison, but we've had five children
Oooops
Pookin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-05-2013, 04:21 PM
Aww Malka, lol, never mind, I make faux pas all the time
Millysmum - tell him you will only be wanting a very tiny one and that you will do everything for it. If you can get him to agree to a weeny old and docile dog he is part way there, you can then start subtly pointing out how a dogs needs are pretty much the same no matter their size/breed/age and move the goal posts on what he initially agreed to.
Also when he objects and you are pestering him about getting a dog lean towards starting your questions with a what or a how if possible, eg what is stopping us getting another dog? it sounds less confrontational than why.
Also avoid closed arguments, statements or questions ie things that can be answered with a yes or a no.
If he really really doesn't want another dog though I would leave him be, you've got to have compromise at the end of the day and you do already have 2 dogs so its not like you are being totally deprived.
Why not try a new hobby or sport with one of the springers and see if that helps ease your doggy urges at all?
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

29-05-2013, 04:27 PM
Yes but, as well as the OP I really really really do want another dog.

The difference is that I know I cannot have one.

SIGH
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Another thing maybe to consider:

Would you really draw the line at 3,seriously?Or are you just one of those amazingly kindhearted people that feels so strongly that they just want to rescue all of them.Would another really satisfy that need!
Cath
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-05-2013, 07:30 PM
I had to do some subtle persuading in order to get Tangle, my hubby loves dogs but was used to the fact that our family was getting smaller as the kids left home (we only have the one 19yr old still living with us). He then said yes and I've got to say he's besotted with her, she's his darling now lol. Don't know how he'd feel if I wanted another one though, I'll not have that conversation......yet
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-05-2013, 07:45 PM
How about suggesting that you might 'foster' the occasional dog for one of the rescues? Then you can do a little trial run to see how another one fits in.

I put my hand up for fostering after I lost my last dog. I was determined not to get another and go thro' the heartbreak again one day. Then I remembered just how QUICKLY you get attached to them (usually less than half a day in my case lol!) so decided if I wanted a dog so much I was considering fostering - it was obviously time to go GET another dog!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >