Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Waxwing
New Member!
Male 

08-05-2013, 07:00 PM

2yo Dog Peeing in the House—Please Help

My labradoodle is 2 years old now and he's been a lot of fun and a great addition to my family! However, since I've had him he's always been a bit difficult in the potty training department—stubborn if you will.

My wife and I both work during the day and we've tried a couple solutions. Crating (he's never minded being in his crate) and having a portion of the house. In either case he goes for about a month without having a single accident. Then, like flipping a switch, it's as if he doesn't care anymore and will start peeing every single day.

When I work from home at times he'll have to wait for a long period of time but he never has an accident when people are around. It's as if he forgets that he's potty trained when no one's around.

We've ruled out any medical problems—our vet has said it's most likely behavioral. I'm just at a loss at how to fix this! We're getting so frustrated—especially since we know he can do it—he's done it in the past. It just feels like he doesn't even care to try anymore.

Thank you for your help!
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 07:12 PM
Oh dear, frustrating! How long is he being left for?
Waxwing
New Member!
Male 

08-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
Oh dear, frustrating! How long is he being left for?
On the longest of days he might be home for a bit over 8 hours. I don't like going much longer than that, to be honest. He's shown that he can handle it in the past but I know the longer it gets the harder it is for him to handle.

Other than work we leave him home alone fairly infrequently. He gets two walks per day (one before we leave and one after we get home) and a few trips to the dog park every week.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 07:32 PM
8 hours is a very long time to leave a dog shut in the house alone. Most rescues now won't allow you to take a dog if you are going to be out of the house for more than 4 hours a day.

I can go all night in bed without needing to pee but I don't go for 8 hours in the daytime without needing one!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Hi, would it be possible to arrange for a neighbour or a dog walker to take him out during the day, sounds like he's a bit stressed , hope you get it sorted
Waxwing
New Member!
Male 

08-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Eileen Duffy View Post
Hi, would it be possible to arrange for a neighbour or a dog walker to take him out during the day, sounds like he's a bit stressed , hope you get it sorted
I could possibly check with a friend/neighbor or two who may be willing to let him out once a day.

I've looked into many of the pet walking/dog sitting services in my area and it seems like I'd have to pay over $60/week to use a service like that! Yikes!

I think he may be a bit stressed. We've always suspected some very mild separation anxiety with him. He's never destructive but he's what you might call a "velcro dog".
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 07:48 PM
I agree that 8 hours is a really long time for a dog to be alone. I would look to get a dog walker in after four hours and given in an hours walk or some exercise in the garden.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 07:49 PM
What sort of things do you leave for him to do when you are out?
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Does sound expensive!don't worry I'm sure you'll find a way,sounds like he's loved loads
Waxwing
New Member!
Male 

08-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
What sort of things do you leave for him to do when you are out?
We usually leave him with a couple toys that we stuff with treats (Kong toys), a good chew bone, his favorite stuffed, and his Tug-A-Jug.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >