Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-05-2013, 11:54 AM

Microchip ripoff

I recently moved, and have just got round to sorting out the change of address for the two dogs microchips, the company wants £15 to do it over the phone or £10 by post, or it can be done online no mention of cost, the only problem is if you go to their web site there is no way to change the information, just view it. The second dogs chip number was unrecognised by the database of the company it was registered with, so phoned them up to be told, we don't hold that information any more its been moved to another company, who is the same as one which you can't do online, though they say it can. To add insult to injury took tj for his injections this morning, and there's a big sign in the vets microchip your pet £9.99.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Change of address for microchips has always cost £10/£15, unless you opted for premium membership when the chip is registered or anytime afterwards-changes of address are then free & you get other"benefits"

Petlog only allows online change of address for premium members
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2013, 12:30 PM
I chose the premium choice as I thought it would be better value and that I was likely to change address at least a couple of times in Tonks' lifetime. Only done it one in her five years so far! Remus came ready microchipped and will stay registered with his rescue, I'm not allowed to change it to my name or address.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2013, 12:31 PM
Looks like you have no option other than to pay to get your details changed. I didn't bother paying for the premium membership 2 years ago when my dogs were microchipped as I don't plan to move ..... although one never knows.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2013, 01:15 PM
I moved in November and had to pay to change my address on both dogs microchips they are with different companies. Today I took ty for his boosters to b told they couldn't locate his chip so not only did I pay to change address looks like im gonna have to pay to have him re chipped PS does anyone know how much it is to get him chipped been 5 years since I last did it
IceCody
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2013, 02:27 PM
I have to ask: isn´t being able to change the address and stuff online or over the phone a little risky?

I don´t know how it works there but I´m seeing anybody being able to change a dog´s chip information and that being a problem if the dog is dognapped or in divorce cases.
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-05-2013, 02:33 PM
When you register the chip I had to have proof of ownership then im given a unique microchip number and I have to use this number to change details not sure if that half answers your question
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-05-2013, 03:11 PM
A microchip is not proof of ownership of whatever it is implanted into in England, N Ireland & Wales as it is neither visible nor permanent(can be removed without permanent damage to whatever it is implanted into)
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-05-2013, 04:07 PM
Pereg's microchip is registered under my ID number, as was Little One's. Unfortunately Dr Vadim, the Local Authority Vet [who chipped both of them albeit at different times] accidentally registered Pereg's chip under someone else's ID number - which I only found out when doing my usual "please check her chip" at the surgery. It took one phone call from my Vet to Vadim, and one phone call from him to get it sorted.

So, if I ever move my ID number follows me as it it registered with the Ministry of the Interior, and Pereg's chip is registered under my ID number, so there would never be any charge for re-registering her at a different address.
JTVN
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Originally Posted by kat14778 View Post
Today I took ty for his boosters to b told they couldn't locate his chip so not only did I pay to change address looks like im gonna have to pay to have him re chipped PS does anyone know how much it is to get him chipped been 5 years since I last did it
I would contact the person who implanted the chip and ask them to contact the company whos chip can't be located. I have known some companys supply a replacement free of charge.

You may have to get it checked again by using another scanner just incase the one used was faulty if that hasn't been done already. Did they do a full body scan and not just the neck area?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >