Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Smells of Urine

Mocha smells of urine. We didn't notice so much at first, but now that she's been here a little the smell is stronger. I wonder if she's been peed on more than the one time my friend and I saw happen the first time we met her at the shelter or she could have been having accidents during the night in her indoor kennel at night. We felt so bad, she was sniffing around another dogs kennel and the dog lifted his leg and peed on her face and mouth. That's assuming they're brought inside, I think they are.

I'm not sure if this would be a good idea right now but what about asking the vet to sedate her to give her a bath. It can't be hygenic for her, nor for us. She hasn't had accidents in her crate since i've been having her loose in the kitchen so if she did, she wouldn't be laying in it.

Thoughts or any other ideas?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2013, 11:54 AM
Mmm would have though sedation would be quite stressful. Maybe now she is out of the rescue and in a home with less dogs around she might start to clean herself more and the smell may go. Perhaps gradually start to brush her? Maybe once she will have chin and face brushed...which they usually love the feeling of don't they...you can move down her body a bit at a time. Maybe you could try wiling her over with a flannel with some warm water with a tiny bit of dog shampoo in it?
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2013, 11:57 AM
If the smell is just on her head I would just use a small wet towell to clean it off. My dogs's heads occasionally get peed on, or one of my dogs rolls in something and I don't necessarily bath them.

Sometimes I use baby wipes - after all that what they are for - wee and poo. Also there are different 'dry'shampoos I have used, and 'no rinse' shampoos which you just work in and towel off.

Also Tea tree oil grooming powder if the dogs is dry.

So plenty of choice without the trauma of a full bath.

Good luck.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2013, 12:11 PM
I've got some 'dog washing mitts' they are quite large, smell pleasant. In a sealed foil pack you just put it on and stroke the dog all over.

I am assuming bathing Mocha is out of the question? These might help and certainly can't hurt.

Just looked at them.

Playful Pets Washing Glove (one side impregnated with lotion) cleaning without water. Does not contain aggressive detergents. No need to rinse or dry. Large dog size (and they are - just they were on special offer in this size so I bought them anyway - got them in the UK) here I've found a piccie of them - there are lots of similar products available in UK. You get three foil packs on a card.

Re using babywipes - I checked these were safe for Bella ages ago. They apparently are but it is advised not to use them around the eyes. The downside to them is they are quite small. The mitts are huge and of course don't roll up and are easy to keep on your hand. I also had large dog wipes in a sachet - they were huge too. Bella needs a lot of 'cleaning down' because it is so dusty, salty and sandy around here and she is low to the ground. If I don't shower or clean her off she sits for ages licking at her feet and anywhere she can reach.

I use plain water on cotton wool pads for her eyes.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I'm going to check around the pet stores for something like the mitts and a waterless shampoo. Thanks guys.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Timber- View Post
I'm going to check around the pet stores for something like the mitts and a waterless shampoo. Thanks guys.
One of the websites (maybe vetuk?) said delivered within 48hrs and they weren't a bad price at 2.50 for 3. Some are very expensive.

I just think the large impregnated mitts are easier to use than anything you have to shake onto them or rub into them and then brush out or whatever. It's essentially just an 'allover stroking experience' with the mitts. And I have to say even Bella's short velvet fur feels lovely afterwards. Same as it does when I do bath her.

Here you go it was here

http://www.instockdirect.com/product...arge-Dogs.html