Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2013, 04:31 PM

We're so happy!

Just a little update from our lives..
It's been just over a week now that Ella lives with us and she's such a little honey.

Apart from her diarrhea at the beginning of last week she's been a dream. Now she's a lot more settled and it's good to know that she's not as much hard work as I anticipated, which probably has something to do with the fact that she gets walked twice a day and fed a lot less (she's lost her pot belly too!).

She's even great walking to the patch of grass off lead with me and this morning I popped into the shop and left her outside (attached to one of those rings) and I could see her through the window, she just sat there, not moving and looked at the door.

She's quite tired now as it's been a long week with lots of walks, but it's lovely seeing her so content.

Tomorrow we're going to see the vet for her vaccinations and a general health check, hopefully she won't hate me after that

And I've also contacted a behaviourist who will help us with her reactivity. I'm also reading a lot about BAT which I intend to apply.

All in all it's lovely having a dog again, especially one so sweet as Ella.
Gellygoo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Oh thats lovely, I'm glad you are enjoying her so much.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2013, 06:34 PM
Oh that's lovely! Really glad to hear how well you're getting on together.

A word of warning though, please be very cautious about leaving her unattended anywhere as dog theft is on the up unfortunately and unscrupulous people are on the look out for dogs left unattended.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

22-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Hi Florence that is good news..
I am really pleased for you...
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Lovely to read you are enjoying your dog. I would never tie a dog outside shops either. But note you said you could see her. I think it's asking for people to come up to the dog and they might get nervy.

I was bitten on the finger by a little pomeranian tied outside shops when I approached to stroke it. Serves me right I s'pose and it did make my daughter laugh (because she's been told all her life NOT to touch strange dogs without getting the OK first!) but it looked so lonely tied up there!
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 09:05 AM
Thanks everybody! I've had to wait so long for it to be right to get a dog again, I'm sure you can all imagine how I feel

Originally Posted by catrinsparkles View Post
A word of warning though, please be very cautious about leaving her unattended anywhere as dog theft is on the up unfortunately and unscrupulous people are on the look out for dogs left unattended.
You are obviously right here, and it does make me nervous to leave her anywhere. But in that occasion I knew I was only going to be a minute and I could see her through the window. It's just good to know she behaves when she has to wait.
One of my boyfriend's mum's dogs got stolen a year ago in Bristol, he was only outside for about 5 minutes in their cul de sac and she had to pop into the house for one of her kids and when she came back he was gone without a trace. She's still looking for him although it's hopeless (but I understand, I could never stop looking for my dog if she went missing). It was a lovely GSD, microchipped and all but they only need a van to put him in and that's it.

I once saw a white shepherd/husky type dog outside a shop waiting for his owner, and he had a chain around his neck and was padlocked to the wall.. Definitely something I would think about if I had to leave her outside shops more often..
Florence
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Lovely to read you are enjoying your dog. I would never tie a dog outside shops either. But note you said you could see her. I think it's asking for people to come up to the dog and they might get nervy.

I was bitten on the finger by a little pomeranian tied outside shops when I approached to stroke it. Serves me right I s'pose and it did make my daughter laugh (because she's been told all her life NOT to touch strange dogs without getting the OK first!) but it looked so lonely tied up there!
The same thing happened to me as a teen! It was a tiny chihhuahua outside the local creamery and I wanted to say hi even though I knew you should never touch dogs you don't know. She promptly bit me in my pinkie and kept growling! Yep, served me right.
Mazza
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Lovely to hear you are so happy with Ella How heartbreaking for the poor woman whose dog got stolen, it must be terrible not knowing what became of him.
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 09:31 AM
Thanks for sharring your happy news.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-04-2013, 02:16 PM
That's lovely news, as for leaving her outside, well that has to depend where you live and as you said you could see her. Many people still tie their dogs out side waitrose here and I have never heard of a dog going missing. Not something I would do but you have to judge the risks in your area IMO.