Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2013, 11:10 AM

How to help a dog that is pining?

Hello everyone,

Sorry not been around much, lots going on.

My husband was admitted to Hospital last Wednesday afternoon, he's still in and most likely will be in for a few more weeks.

One of our dogs, Jake (the oldest, he's 9ish) is looking very mournful - droopy tail, refusing food etc rather like he did when Boots died in 2010.

I imagine this is because he is missing Sean, so is there anything I can do to help Jake?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-04-2013, 12:03 PM
Hello Emma I am sorry to hear about your husband and hope he is well soon.

Although it is natural to want to 'comfort' a dog (and you are no doubt feeling upset yourself which Jake will have noted ) I think it is best to resist doing this because you may reinforce the fact that there is something wrong.

I would try to stick to the normal routine where you can to give a bit of reassuring stability and be 'bright and breeze' with Jake although you won't be feeling like doing so.
A bit of extra play with favourite toys if you can get his interest may help too...
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2013, 07:02 AM
Thanks Minihaha. Okay-doke, I will try your advice and be bright and breezy with Jake & pretend that nothing out of the ordinary is happening.

Thanks again.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2013, 07:51 AM
Sorry to hear your hubby is unwell xx

Lots of changes going on in Jake's routine right now and, of course, he'll be missing hubby.

Play is a great friend. If he's into toys, try adding a few extra games into his routine. You could also throw in some bits of 'ad-hoc' training (ie when you're waiting for the kettle to boil, adverts on TV etc) as it will help to concentrate his mind on other things for a while.

There's nothing wrong with a bit of comfort when he needs it, provided you don't go overboard. We all like a little cuddle now and then when we are feeling down, but we also like to be cheered up and our minds taken off things for a while. Same goes for dogs

Good luck and I hope that hubby recovers soon xx
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2013, 08:30 AM
Sorry to hear about Sean, hope he is well soon and back home with you.
I don't know what to suggest. I know that Pepsi would be inconsolable.
Good luck.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-04-2013, 08:43 AM
I hope your husband gets well soon. I agree with Minihaha, keeping dogs in their routine will help to comfort him.
Pysces
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2013, 06:48 AM
Sorry, only just got back to this.

Thank you very much for your kind words about Sean, I'm hoping he's soon home too, but as he's awaiting a bed at a another hospital so I think he'll be missing a while!

Many thanks for your advice. I have also upped Jake's "play time" and have got him a little kong stuffed with cheese and biscuits to play with. It's just a matter now of stopping Jasper from running off with it...