View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
alisalicking
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:20 PM

My Black lab was diagnosed with Melanoma today.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a dog diagnosed with Melanoma? Mine was today. And all the information I find on Google either says it is the worst or the least fatal. I'm very confused. My vet has scheduled surgery tomorrow morning to remove the growths. But he doesn't want to Biopsy them saying even if he did biopsy them we would still be waiting and watching. So which is it? Is it usually fatal and I should prepare myself for whats to come? Or have you had a dog with Melanoma and they have gone on to live several years afterwards? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-04-2013, 08:41 PM
I am sorry but I know nothing about Melanoma in dogs, but I do not understand why your vet does not want the removed growths biopsied. Surely it needs a biopsy to find out whether in fact the growths are Melanoma?
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:53 PM
You must be so worried, and probably were too shocked to ask for more information from your vet, although in all honesty he should have talked to you about it.

The best thing to do when you go in tomorrow, is to ask exactly what it means and what will happen after surgery.

I am sorry that I am no help, but I have had no personal experience of this.
alisalicking
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2013, 08:58 PM
Both are true, Worried and yet I suspected it. He told me here in the U.S. The type of cyst she has almost always comes back as Melanoma so there was no point in doing a biopsy because after a biopsy all I would be able to do is sit and wait. Same thing I would be doing if I didn't do the biopsy. I am going to tell him tomorrow I want it biopsied anyway. I'd like to know what to expect.
susannah92
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-04-2013, 09:01 PM
I have no experience of melanoma but just wanted to wish you and your dog all the best with the surgery. As has been said by others I would want to have a talk with the vet to get some idea of what to expect.
Good luck and do let us know how things progress.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

11-04-2013, 09:05 PM
Originally Posted by alisalicking View Post
Both are true, Worried and yet I suspected it. He told me here in the U.S. The type of cyst she has almost always comes back as Melanoma so there was no point in doing a biopsy because after a biopsy all I would be able to do is sit and wait. Same thing I would be doing if I didn't do the biopsy. I am going to tell him tomorrow I want it biopsied anyway. I'd like to know what to expect.
"Almost always" does not mean that your girl definitely has Melanoma. You will only know that after a biopsy. If it is, and I hope it is not, you can then try to get as much information about it as possible.

And if, hopefully, it is not, then you will not be worrying unnecessarily all the time as you would be if you did not know.

Good luck - I will be thinking of you and your girl tomorrow.
Meg
Supervisor

11-04-2013, 09:11 PM
Hello Alisa, I am sorry to learn your dog is ill.
I can understand what your vet is saying but I would still want a biopsy.
I hope all goes well with the operation.
Bobble
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2013, 08:38 AM
Sorry to read of your news, the downside of living in the sunshine state! that said, it is prevailent worldwide. In the UK a biopsy would be a given. Please explain to your vet that you have freinds in the UK and you really would like a biopsy. There are many reasons why your lab may have growths not all of them melanoma. You vet is the expert and has seen them, but you need to know what you are dealing with.

The trouble with melanoma is it can be serious or it can be easily treated. So the differing 'net information is bound to be confusing. Once you know for sure talk to your vet about treatment, they know how to tackle it. Every case is different.

Hopefully, because your dog is black it will be something innocent, melanoma is more common in lighter coloured/skinned mammals and often starts where there is no or little hair growth.
redowl
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-04-2013, 07:28 PM
Not all Melanoma's are malignant in dogs. I have had a dog that had 2 Melanomas removed. Both were considered benign.
aerolor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2013, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by alisalicking View Post
I was wondering if anyone here has ever had a dog diagnosed with Melanoma? Mine was today. And all the information I find on Google either says it is the worst or the least fatal. I'm very confused. My vet has scheduled surgery tomorrow morning to remove the growths. But he doesn't want to Biopsy them saying even if he did biopsy them we would still be waiting and watching. So which is it? Is it usually fatal and I should prepare myself for whats to come? Or have you had a dog with Melanoma and they have gone on to live several years afterwards? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Can you say where on your dog the melanoma is? Depending where it is sited and the size it is quite often as easy and effective to remove a growth which is suspected to be a meanoma, rather than just doing a biopsy first and waiting to prove what is already suspected. They will tell you afterwards if the melanoma is malignant, but either way (malignant or not) if it were my dog I would be proactive and have it removed as soon as possible.

I have had a dog with a malignant melanoma which was on her toe. The toe was amputated and she went on to live for another 18 months. Her original progosis was not good and I was warned that frequently this cancer spreads into the lymph glands, which is what happened. So if the growth is malignanet you will still need to watch and examine your dog regularly. This is why I say don't wait and that early diagnosis and treatment is very important.

My gut feeling for your dog is that depending on where the site is to get the growth/s removed without delay. There seems little point to me is just having a biopsy in case it isn't malignant - better to remove it all as soon as possible.

I hope things are straightforward and you and your dog have a good outcome.