Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
KRoyle
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-04-2013, 09:00 PM

Moving on from the crate

My lurcher (mainly sal x grey with tiny bit of collie) is now 22 months old and is crated when I am not in the house or at night if for whatever reason he is not able to be in the same room as me.

But he can open cupboards and the fridge (knowledge gained from his past escapes lol) so I feel the kitchen isn't an option, as I think even now he would just try even harder to open them and possibly chew if i put locks on.

However he has always been behaved in the living-room *touch wood* and considers it a relaxing place (he isn't a hyper, run about dog anyway). So if anywhere, this would be the best place to leave him during the day i feel. As he has a favourite corner and has on many an occasion slept there overnight because i have fallen asleep watching tv on a weekend etc. without any trouble.

What will be the best way to go about transitioning him into the living room during the day?
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-04-2013, 03:46 AM
Starting for short periods would be the best way for you to keep track how long he can stay loose without getting into trouble.

Dogs for the most part sleep through the night, so I would start with that. Put all his favourite things in his corner with his bed (if it's not already there) and make it his safe spot. Try that for a week or so and if he's behaving do short intervals through out the day (if possible). Have him loose and go for a short walk. With time you can leave him longer and longer until he's fully transitioned.

Hope this helps.
Make sure to leave him something to do when you're gone so he's not inclined to make his own fun.