Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-03-2013, 10:06 AM

Should the Govt rethink the DDA

With dogs once again in the headlines for the horrible event in Manchester. In my opinion the Dangerous dogs act has failed. Since it became legislation we have had 9 fatalities, this figure has not reduced since the DDA. So I think the DDA should be scrapped. So what are everyone's opinion?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 10:11 AM
It rather depends if the numbers would have gone up if we hadn't had it.

In principle I hate breed specific legislation but we do need something to keep everyone safe. Perhaps education before anyone owns a dog would be better ?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Quite how it would work I dunno but yes - at least a written/theory test to be undertaken by anyone wanting to get a dog. (I think they should do that for people wanting to get married too lol!)
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-03-2013, 10:33 AM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Quite how it would work I dunno but yes - at least a written/theory test to be undertaken by anyone wanting to get a dog. (I think they should do that for people wanting to get married too lol!)
Add to that having babies too
JamieWilson
Dogsey Senior
Male 

27-03-2013, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Add to that having babies too
Second that!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Perhaps education before anyone owns a dog would be better ?
While theory is useful, when dealing with living creatures it can be irrelevant when living with dogs.

The fact is that people get complacent. We have dogs we love and trust and often forget that they are a different species and different triggers can come into play.

Given the right (or wrong) set of circumstances, a great many 'placid' dogs will use their only form of communication, ie the bite, to make their point.

I think we also have to realise that dogs, like humans, have different tolerance levels - while some have tolerance and patience, others have shorter tempers.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 03:21 PM
I agree Brierley but I have seen too many people in my life time who know nothing before they take on a dog, I made many mistakes with my first dog that education before homing him would have cured. I was lucky he survived despite me, and I was determined to keep him no matter what. But many dogs are not that lucky.

One dog I met just this morning so fat he could only waddle when I asked what he was fed I was told he is on a diet, only has two tinned pies a day now ! 2 tinned pies would be enough calories for a working man !! A little education would have made that dogs life so much better.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
One dog I met just this morning so fat he could only waddle when I asked what he was fed I was told he is on a diet, only has two tinned pies a day now ! 2 tinned pies would be enough calories for a working man !! A little education would have made that dogs life so much better.
I seriously doubt it would have made any difference.

How many people have conditions - heart, diabetes, etc, etc - yet still eat too many calories of the wrong kind.

As an example, my hubby is diabetic. When first diagnosed, we went to the diet lecture. The lady giving a very thorough talk even had examples of meals on plates, did question and answers, even a test which everyone 'passed'. Right at the very end, a woman said, but what about my nuts and chocolates I have every evening? I can't do without those!! While another lady in the crowd said she wouldn't forego her fish and chips that they had every other night.

I've done courses in dog behaviour and seen times many those who know the theory, yet still don't put it into practice, preferring instead what 'they' feel more comfortable with - even if that is cruel practice
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 03:44 PM
I did the same when faced with diabetes, it's not the same thing at all to educating people about dog ownership.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2013, 04:16 PM
I think it's very similar to be honest.

There are so many examples that could be given of our being given instruction on what to do, but that we ignore and do our own thing.

It sounds very good in theory to have a dog ownership (or pre-ownership) test, but, in practice, I would say that it wouldn't make one iota of difference
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >