Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2013, 06:07 PM

Superscrimpers Channel 4 tonight at 8.30 pm

Investigating whether cheap dried dog food is good value.

Hmm, no comment!
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2013, 06:14 PM
I'll miss that.. off out to visit someone for their birthday.. please let us know what they say!
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2013, 06:15 PM
Ooh, will try to catch that... pretty sure I know the answer though lol
Shane
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2013, 06:43 PM
I never assume something is good just on the price tag, its a well known trick.
And I do think with some research you can find good quality at a low price (skinners lamb and rice) but marketing gets in the way and distracts people.

But I did feed my GSD on cheap dry foods (when I was younger and had less knowledge) and she lived to 14 with no health issues at all.
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2013, 07:58 PM
yes our dogs ate pedigree tinned food and mixer for years and both lived to 17yrs old!

Chappie is another one often recommended by vets.

Seems I will be watching it tonight as my evening out got cancelled ..possibly tomorrow now..so I'll get chance to watch it.

In bed with an hot choccy cuddled up to my babies waiting for it to start!

Would Arden Grange be considered a cheap food or good? I asked earlier but no-one has answered my post (though several just looked)

I remember when it first came out and was cheaper as I could buy it in wilkinsons when I lived at edge of town...but they got new design bags now with nice dogs on the front! ...have to admit I'm wanting the performance one just cos its got a BC on front that looks like JJ! ..and the 'light' version has a black lab on looks like a young Inca!
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2013, 08:17 PM
It is interesting, my Aunt's dog was fed on whatever tinned food was on offer, plus leftovers and lived to 16 without many health problems.

Maybe the quality of cheaper food has deteriorated over the years, more additives, poor quality meat etc.
Hmmm....
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Shriley View Post
It is interesting, my Aunt's dog was fed on whatever tinned food was on offer, plus leftovers and lived to 16 without many health problems.

Maybe the quality of cheaper food has deteriorated over the years, more additives, poor quality meat etc.
Hmmm....
I wouldn't be surprised considering they're passing off horse meat as beef in human food these days!
Shriley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

25-03-2013, 08:53 PM
Not really much of a comparison, three poor brands IMO, personally wouldn't ouch any of them.

Thought it odd though that were talking openly about the brands and yet sometimes the packaging was blurred out
katilea
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2013, 08:58 PM
well that was worth staying in for!...not!

I'd have to be homeless and completely broke to be happy with my dogs getting a bag of any of those!
Dr Salter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-03-2013, 09:50 PM
This just shows that any of these TV documentaries on products are a load of rubbish. The products discussed were all low quality, and neither the presenter or the vet knew what they were talking about!

It is well documented that Bakers is poor quality and full of additives, and the other two were bottom of the range. Wasted my time viewing it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >