View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Won't leave the house with anyone else...

Hi all,

It's been ages since I have been on here, but I am faced with a problem and knew exactly where to turn!

Both my dogs, Sammie (SBT) and Angel (SBTx), have started to be very particular about who they will go for a walk with. Good in one sense, bad in the sense that if a family member is walking them for me they are met with real stubbornness.

Today is a good example. I usually go home everyday at lunch to give them a quick 10 min walk. Today I had to work through lunch and couldn't make it. My parents, who my dogs know and love, went to walk them for me and they point blank refused to leave. Sammie lay in his bed and they couldn't budge him, he rolled over several times for a belly tickle, but when asked to go for walkies, he just started shaking. Angel was a little better, but not much. They managed to at least get her into the back garden, but then she just stood at back door waiting to get in again, not making use of toilet time at all.

That was just today. My parents come to the house to look after them if we have to go away overnight/hols etc. and they always seem miserable!! They do eventually come round, but it makes things a little difficult for my parents (or brothers/sisters), who are kindly helping me out.

Some background:
Used to live on my own and 2 years ago moved in with my partner and his two dogs. They all get on fine and my dogs adore my partner and go with him anywhere.
My partners dad comes down to house everyday we are working and takes his two up to his for the day (gets them out and gives dad someting to do with his day). IF my partners dad tries to walk them, he is met with same behaviour.

Both my two have come from unpleasant rescue situations, however i have had them about 7 years now, so this is a fairly new behaviour.

I have a feeling its some sort of seperation anxiety or something. I have in the past been quite bad for molly coddling them, bad I know, but i try to restrict it a little. Sammie in particular is a mummies boy, so I can understand this from him (he is always seeking attention in forms of cuddles, pets etc), but Angel is very independant, so not sure why she behaves this way?

Anyway, sorry that was so long. I really appreciate any input anyone can give me? Any questions just ask.

Thanks in advance!
Lisa
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 06:23 PM
My old Cavvie - lived with me and my daughter since we got her - was bought for my daughter - still saw me as her 'boss' or 'mum' if you like.

My daughter used to get REALLY upset when she tried to take her out. She'd hang back on the lead and look at me. I'd say 'JUST TAKE HER!' she was fine when she got up the road a bit.

Same if we were out walking the High St where we lived, I'd see a shop I wanted to pop into and leave daughter outside with the dog. Dog would HOWL THE PLACE DOWN until my daughter walked her away.

She loved my daughter and spent most of her evenings snuggled up dossing on one of the sofas with her (in fact the dog was the perfect excuse for my daughter to do nothing - don't want to disturb the dog!) but when it came to taking her out for a walk. Well ... as above.
Baxter8
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-02-2013, 07:08 PM
Oh I remember this behaviour with my last staffie X - she loved my Mum but her tail used to go between her leg if my Mum tried to take her out. My current staffie will happily go with anyone!

I guess your family have tried treats and bribes to entice them out?

I guess my question to you would be is it essential that they go out with someone else? If it is so traumatic perhaps it's better not to force them. I'm always surprised at how long mine can hang on for a pee. I know you'd feel guilty leaving them all day without a walk on the odd occasion but they're not puppies. I think if someone popped in to give them a cuddle and a chat they'd be happy, but you know them better than me.

Good luck with the babies
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 07:35 PM
We have something similar with our rescue dog that we have now had for three years.

Initially he was happy to walk with my husband, or daughter and her husband, but gradually he changed until he would only go out with me. He gets outside then within a few yards just puts the brakes on and refuses to go any further - no amount of cajolling or bribery will work.

I have to admit that we haven't tried to work on it very hard because we are retired and it doesn't really matter as we normally either both go, or I just take him myself. I suspect that intensive "training", with lots of patience on the part of the alternative walker might show results. For instance if you start by taking whoever it is along with you on a walk, then after a while giving them the lead to hold, graduating to them having the lead from the word go and slowly working up to you lagging behind further and further. You know the sort of thing.

On the rare occasions that I cannot walk Jimmi, then he happily stays at home with husband or whoever so it is just not worth worrying about it for me.
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

21-02-2013, 09:13 AM
Thanks for you replies everyone. Yes, they all sound farily similar situations.

Baxter8 - I guess it's not essential. I know they can last the day, and on the occassions that they have been in all day, when I do get home they don't even seem bothered about going for a pee, they are more interested in playtime.

The only time it does become essential is if we go away for the weekend or holiday. This isn't often, but I don want dogsitter and dogs to be equally relaxed. My folks live out of town just now but are looking to move closer to us. I think if this happens then we can work on it. Until then i think we just have to make do.

After all the above has been said one point to note would be that Sammie is the master charmer and i'm sure the term 'puppy dog eyes' was mad with him in mind. I'm sure it's never as bad as he puts on...