Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Toby2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-02-2013, 10:24 PM

Confused about tripe

We have always fed our dog s a raw diet, and none of them have been overwieight...apart from Holly in the last 6months or so.

She is a fat badger (about 2kg overweight) without doubt, and this has really happened since she had a fatty lump removed in August last year.

I have read that green tripe will put on weight, in other places that it will help to reduce weight Does anyone know which ine it is?

At present, she is fed 2% of her bodyweight each day, in the morning after her walk, and none of the dogs have treats apart from bulls' pizzles. We walk all the dogs 2.5 to 3 hours a day.

Should I cut the tripe out of her diet? Keep it? Any suggestions gratefully received.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2013, 10:51 AM
I would try feeding her 2% of her IDEAL weight for her breed/sex rather than 2% of her current weight.

If this doesn't work I'd reduce the over all diet amounts slightly rather than cutting out certain foods. Variety is the spice of life and helps to ensure a balanced diet.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I would try feeding her 2% of her IDEAL weight for her breed/sex rather than 2% of her current weight.

If this doesn't work I'd reduce the over all diet amounts slightly rather than cutting out certain foods. Variety is the spice of life and helps to ensure a balanced diet.
I needed to get Pereg down from 20.8kg [a 3.8kg weight gain due to medication] so went by 2% of 18kg as a planned loss. She actually went down to 17.2kg in 12 months by weighing everything and keeping fairly strictly to the the diet plan. I am not quite so fussy now but still tend to keep to the same amounts and unless she has lost too much more [her next weigh-in due in mid-April] I will stick with the amounts she currently has.
Toby2
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-02-2013, 12:36 PM
Thank you both
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-02-2013, 12:42 PM
Originally Posted by Toby2 View Post
Thank you both
No problem, hope it helps.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 10:33 AM
We have always fed our dog s a raw diet, and none of them have been overwieight...apart from Holly in the last 6months or so.

She is a fat badger (about 2kg overweight) without doubt, and this has really happened since she had a fatty lump removed in August last year.

I have read that green tripe will put on weight, in other places that it will help to reduce weight Does anyone know which ine it is?

At present, she is fed 2% of her bodyweight each day, in the morning after her walk, and none of the dogs have treats apart from bulls' pizzles. We walk all the dogs 2.5 to 3 hours a day.

Should I cut the tripe out of her diet? Keep it? Any suggestions gratefully received.
id cut down tripe yes, as ive always been told it puts on weight, specifically lamb tripe.

also like others have said, try feeding 2% of the ideal weight, not the weight now.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-02-2013, 12:23 PM

Green tripe is just about the most nutritious food for a dog - it has got everything a dog needs in there, in particular semi-digested vegetable material - so yes, it is fattening if fed in large quantities. My advice would be to continue giving her the green tripe, but cut it down. I am not sure the size of your dog, or how you buy your tripe, but I get our's from Berriewoods and it comes in rectangular slabs weighing about half a kilo. If one slab was too much in one go, you could divide it up into airtight storage boxes and put them in the fridge - for obvious reasons you need to keep it well away from human food, hence the lock and lock boxes or something similar.
Ailey
New Member!
Female 

11-04-2013, 10:16 PM
Have a look at coconut oil, apparently it can help shed weight (bizarre as that sounds), I read somewhere about a farmer feeding it to cattle to fatten them and they all lost weight! Apart from anything else, dogs love it and it has loads of other health benefits. If I can find the article again I'll post a link or you could try googling.
Cider vinegar can also help.