Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AndrewT1993
New Member!
Male 

19-01-2013, 02:54 PM

I need advice on this SPCA dog.

So I went to the SPCA yesterday and met this dog that I really like. However she does have a few problems. Shes allergic to fleas so she has patches of hair. She currently has kennel cough. She had tendency to jump on me and my mom and push qnd her claws left a few marks on my arm and she seems to really pull on the leash.
Can any of this be fixed?

Shes a 10 month lab mix (she looks like she has pit in her but not sure). Shes everything that I wanted in a dog. Shes friendly with everyone and everything, loves to play fetch and just a real kisser. The only problems are the ones I listed above. What do you think? She weighs 48 pounds and the shelter says shes as big as shes going to get.

http://www.petango.com/Adopt/Dog-Ret...rador-18846935
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2013, 03:11 PM
She looks lovely!

If she's allergic to fleas then the best thing to do is make sure she never has any on her! A good de-flea programme should keep her flea-free.

The kennel cough should go eventually but you will have to keep her quarantined for at least ten days after her last cough to make sure she doesn't infect any other dogs. It is very infectious!

The jumping up is a training issue. She is only young and probably hasn't had any real training. If you are prepared to put the work in, it should be easily controlled.

Good luck with her, if you do decide to take her on.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

19-01-2013, 05:01 PM

AndrewT1993
New Member!
Male 

19-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post

No reply or input?
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2013, 06:05 PM
Looks lovely, as has been said training should help the behaviours, flea allergy is a nuiscance our late Rosie had that and the slightest sniff of a flea would set her off, but treatments and deterants are better these days, you just need to be on top of them all the time.

So if you can put the time in she should be a lovely girl IMO.
Niccie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-01-2013, 06:59 PM
I thought that no one could actually tell a dogs allergy was from fleas but it was just assumed because it can cause irritation!?!

I only say this because I was told Riley was allergic to fleas and that was vet response. He had terrible skin when he first came, I keep on top of flea treatment (monthly), changed his food to one without wheat and wash his bedding regularly (to prevent mites) and now it's great!!!

The jumping up and pulling on lead and both things which training can help with. The nails should wear down after a few weeks of walking, especially if have to walk over pavement near you.

I would recommend if you decide to give her a loving home, to get a good, qualified dog trainer in to give you some help and tips! You wouldn't want to accidentally re-enforce any of the behaviour you don't want and she may be nervous when she first arrived. Always good to start off with what you expect, instead of introducing rules (like no jumping up) later on... In my opinion, from doing just that, anyhew!
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-01-2013, 07:29 PM
What a lovely dog! As others have said, none of those problems are insurmountable and she looks as if she would be well worth the effort.

There are loads of flea treatments available, and a good spot on plus perhaps Billy No Mates (a tasty herbal mix which actually repels fleas and ticks before they even think of making a home on a dog) every day, should ensure that her skin and fur are absolutely fine.

Training can be great fun, and you could soon iron out those minor troubles.