Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 08:33 AM

ebay isn't always cheaper

Have been keeping an eye out for Gwen Bailey's Perfect Puppy book on ebay and a wee bidding war broke out (was watching from the sidelines) and someone actually bidded a higher price than what you could have got it for new and they were buying a second hand book!!!

Well it looks like the next set of bidders are about to do the same thing on another Gwen Bailey used book

Sometimes I wonder if people get addicted to winning and lose all sense of logic
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-08-2005, 08:42 AM
i think the same i have been to many auctions of different types and it is the excitement of bidding you get carried away and in the end you realize that you have paid to much you have to be very lucky to get something cheap and as you say sometimes you can buy it in a shop new at a cheaper price
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-08-2005, 08:45 AM
I sell on Ebay and sometimes it is unbelievable how much a person will pay for an item that defiantely is not worth the price they pay.

I sold an item (I won't tell you what for obvious reasons) £8.00. The true retail value of the item was £1.00. I will be honest and felt guilty but if that's what they want to pay well it it up to them, I started the auction at a low sum of 99p.

Ian
Luke
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-08-2005, 09:07 AM
its insane, but i must admit i fall foul of this often, if i want something i will bid, and bid again.
E.g today ordered a Louis Vuitton dog collar and lead for Polly, didnt think to check the size, it drowned her!!! but with an extra hole making its fine
Mind u i was bidding on a ferret lead and harness and it went up to 19.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can buy them new for 5.00 so i went on a buy now at 2.50
Its just madness sometimes
Best wishes
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Originally Posted by Hoggett
I sell on Ebay and sometimes it is unbelievable how much a person will pay for an item that defiantely is not worth the price they pay.

I sold an item (I won't tell you what for obvious reasons) £8.00. The true retail value of the item was £1.00. I will be honest and felt guilty but if that's what they want to pay well it it up to them, I started the auction at a low sum of 99p.

Ian
I totally understand Ian, but think it's good you can make a profit though. I bought something off ebay yesterday and the price was so low I felt guilty about winning I think she had intended that more people would have bid, there was one person who wanted it but I waited for the last 30secs and gazumped them
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 09:15 AM
Absolutely true Fred!

Originally Posted by Fred
i think the same i have been to many auctions of different types and it is the excitement of bidding you get carried away and in the end you realize that you have paid to much you have to be very lucky to get something cheap and as you say sometimes you can buy it in a shop new at a cheaper price
maplecottage
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 09:16 AM
Wow seriously pampered pooch at least you can make that extra hole You did some clever shopping with the harness for sure - well done!

Originally Posted by Lu-1
its insane, but i must admit i fall foul of this often, if i want something i will bid, and bid again.
E.g today ordered a Louis Vuitton dog collar and lead for Polly, didnt think to check the size, it drowned her!!! but with an extra hole making its fine
Mind u i was bidding on a ferret lead and harness and it went up to 19.00!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can buy them new for 5.00 so i went on a buy now at 2.50
Its just madness sometimes
Best wishes
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 02:58 PM
I've seen the same, in our local £1 store they had cocker ornaments, same one sold on e-bay for £15, I could not believe it!
Vix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

20-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Well i got a bargain last night. 7 fairly big non fiction (equestrian) books for £6.50.
Postage only £4 so that was pretty good.
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2005, 04:00 PM
I've also had some good bargains, got a brand new copy of a cocker spaniel book that is out of print for £28 inc postage. I've seen copies recently go for £50+
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >