Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
streetmutt
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-08-2012, 02:31 PM

How much tinned chappie to feed?

I was thinking of trying my lot on jus tinned chappie as have read good reviews. But just wondering how much to feed? I know there are guidelines on the tin but these always seem way too much. I have a greyhound, collie cross and two Bullmastiffs. I have tried them on some mixed with their dry food and they love it.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-08-2012, 03:45 PM
Personally I wouldn't advise feeding a just wet food diet. I would continue mixing a quarter of a tin each (one small tin per meal mixed with water into a gravy) with a good dry food such as skinners duck and rice... The gravy makes the dry food tastier and compensates the water if your dog is not much of a drinker...

Wet dog foods like chappie contain a lot of water, not a bad thing in itself but it does mean you have to feed more of it than you would a dry food which is more expensive and means feeding more of the bulking foods like the fibre and ash as well... your dog is really only getting benefit from the meat protein and the vitamins and minerals in the food, so if you look on the side of the can, for every tin, your dog is getting around 11% 'food' with the rest being ash and fibre and usually about 80% water! This will lead to lots more toileting and bigger stinkier poo...

As a good general rule of thumb, when choosing a dry dog food always make sure the first ingredient listed on the back is meat or meat protein... anything that lists the wheat or fibre first is not a good food...

But if you do want to try just chappie.. make a guess based on the recommended daily amount then keep an eye on your dogs poo and weight... adjust the food quantity up or down until you get a abalance... it tends to be pretty individual, some dogs like some people have faster metabolisms and are prone to be skinny, where others will tend towards fat... you just have to play it by eye... Ideally you want a slim dog with a neat 'tuck' up to their back legs, all dogs should have a 'waist' and small firm poo... then you know you've got it right whatever the food
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-08-2012, 04:07 PM
Cookie has been on this a few times, as recommended by the vet instead of their own recovery food (which sometimes makes him vomit). At 30kg ish he usually ate a full medium tin (I think the 825g) while on bed rest and recovery, with chicken or scramble egg each day, so I would imagine more for his usual active day. So for all four of your guys I would imagine at least 2 of the big tins each day.
As others have said though, I think it is best to feed them dry food as well as, or just change to raw.