Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
fernackerpan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2012, 02:27 PM

When is it time to say goodbye?

I have just seen an obviously much loved labrador in a wheeled walking frame being led down a ramp from the back of a car going for his 'walk'. This poor, very old dog had no use what so ever in his hind quarters. It was all he could do to drag himself along with his back legs trailing uselessly behind him. It was heart breaking to see him. I wonder how his owner manages him when it comes to toileting. I know it is selfish of us to want our best friend to go on just that little bit longer but is it fair on the dog?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

28-08-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi Berenice as long as dog isn't in pain and is getting some pleasure from life I think it is ok to carry on.

Dogs unlike humans don't look at things from an emotional perspective. They don't say 'poor me with legs which don't work pulling a cart ' they just get on with it .
Angie1966
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-08-2012, 02:47 PM
I think it depends on the quality of life. His owner obviously cares very much about his dog as the mobility trollies don't come cheap. As owners, I think we can all agree, that we know our own dogs better than anyone else. I'm also a believer that when the time is right, our dogs let us know when they've had enough. People looking in may have a different view of what should or shouldn't be done but ultimately it is our relationship with our dogs that counts. Those of us that truly love and care for our dogs do what we need to do, as witnessing their suffering would be torturous. If my dog was free from pain, eating and drinking, still taking an interest in things and showed willing to go for a walk (even in a trolly) then I wouldn't consider her ready.

In the past I have been guilty of holding on a few weeks more than I should, wrongly advised by a vet that my dog's illness could be stabilised. I will never make that mistake again, I follow the saying 'better a week too early than a day too late'.

Ultimately, it is an horrendous decision to have to make and follow through. It is also a very personal decision and one that should always be made in the best interest of the dog and not the owner.
fernackerpan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2012, 03:07 PM
I agree Angie. The dog didn't seem to be in pain but it was a very hard struggle for him to make little progress. I have had two other dogs previously and both times the end was forced upon us without question. Both had advanced cancer and seemingly well until one day refusing food which in a labrador is very serious indeed and not to be ignored.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

28-08-2012, 03:36 PM
Personally what you describe is taking things to far for me,

Quality of life is paramount in knowing when the time is right, and a dog that needs to be in a wheelchair, and cant get round without it is a step to far in my opinion.

I understand the owner probably loves his dog and thinks he is doing the best, and I also understand the difficulty in making these decisions, but a dog that cant walk, probably has little control over his bodily functions, is not a dog with any quality of life.

I saw similar the other day , only it was a JRT, and I thought the same , well meaning owner who loves their dog, but keeping it alive for themselves not the dog.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2012, 04:04 PM
I would say it depends on many factors - I wouldnt say black and white 'when X happens then they should be PTS'
I agree with the others that say if the dog still has enjoyment of their life

I know this is clearly a different case - but I wouldnt rule out a dog in a wheelchair
this dog very clearly still has a love for life and in a wheelchair - I deff would not put a dog down at that stage
fernackerpan
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-08-2012, 04:19 PM
What a great time Zip was having in the clip. Zip is obviously a young dog with lots to live for and nothing to suggest PTS is for the best in this case. It brought a tear to my eye.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

28-08-2012, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I would say it depends on many factors - I wouldnt say black and white 'when X happens then they should be PTS'
I agree with the others that say if the dog still has enjoyment of their life

I know this is clearly a different case - but I wouldnt rule out a dog in a wheelchair
this dog very clearly still has a love for life and in a wheelchair - I deff would not put a dog down at that stage
What happens when the dog is not in the wheelchair, does he have a good quality of life then, or does that not matter, because it can pull itself around an assault course.

i assume the dog has to come out of the chair at some time, does it drag itself around on its front legs when it wants to move, does it wet itself because he cant move unless he is picked up or put in his wheel chair.

One has to aske oneself the question, who are you doing this for, because its certainly not for the dog, you are keeping an otherwise paralysed dog alive , for your own ends.

The video does not make me see quality of life, it saddens me that someone cant see the reasons behind their actions.

i would never keep a dog alive if I had to resort to this.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

28-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Yeah I don't do dogs in wheelchairs, I lost all 3 of my dobies to the 'wobbles' and the deciding factor with all of them was they no longer had any control over their bodily functions and couldn't be a dog anymore basically.
When Tawney had her final stroke she couldn't get up, she could sit up, but her back end no longer worked, this state of affairs continued for some time, previous to that she had come out of it every time and was on vivitonin, this time she didn't so we took that sad journey and I held her and talked to her till she was gone, like I did all of them. I think we owe them a dignified end and not one where they are lying in their own mess and unable to be them anymore. I think keeping them going unnecessarily is not for them, but to make the owner feel better.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
What happens when the dog is not in the wheelchair, does he have a good quality of life then, or does that not matter, because it can pull itself around an assault course.

i assume the dog has to come out of the chair at some time, does it drag itself around on its front legs when it wants to move, does it wet itself because he cant move unless he is picked up or put in his wheel chair.

One has to aske oneself the question, who are you doing this for, because its certainly not for the dog, you are keeping an otherwise paralysed dog alive , for your own ends.

The video does not make me see quality of life, it saddens me that someone cant see the reasons behind their actions.

i would never keep a dog alive if I had to resort to this.

I agree, it makes me feel really uncomfortable.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »