Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
maggie.t1
New Member!
Female 

26-08-2012, 11:27 AM

Trots round and round

My nine month old westie keeps trotting round and round my furniture in my house. I have wooden floors and his nails make a clip clopping sound. He goes round and round each chair and the goes back the way he has come, he will go round and round the dining room table, also with my lounge door and kitchen door open, he will go round and round the whole of the ground floor of my house. He does this several times a day and we have yet to discover why. We have a dog flap so he can go in and out of the garden when he wants to, He loves his walks and as we live right next to the park, he has plenty of them, he loves having cuddles, gets on very well with my 11year old westie - so has anyone any idea as to why he does this?
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2012, 12:40 PM
I have known of some dogs that started this behaviour due to brain problems, are there any other strange behaviours that he has always done or starting to develop. Maybe worth a vet check and a quick talk to them.
Can you distract him out of it?
Maybe he is just bored and having a wonder around in the hope of getting some attention, how does everyone react to him? Even if it got him attention the first time and then never again he could still be trying to use it as an attention seeking exercise.
Could you place temporary obstacles in his way if it is causing any problems?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2012, 01:08 PM
The only dog I`ve had do this was very stressed. He paced the same route over and over again.
Do you think he`s stressed?
maggie.t1
New Member!
Female 

27-08-2012, 09:31 AM
Thanks for your replies - Even if I put obstacles in his way, Finley will go round them. Nothing seems to deter him on his mission. It starts as soon as I come down in the morning - before he says hello, he has to do his clip clopping round the house. Only when he has completed what he is doing, he will come to say hello. This happens even when I come in from work or shopping. He does this rictual several times a day for no apparent reason. We could all be sitting watching television and he might start. This happens with all members of the family not just me. He is so loving, loves a cuddle and a play, eating, drinking and pooing normally. Also since we have had him from 8 weeks old, he does like to lick you - anything from your face, lips,arms and even feet when he is laying beside them. He gets on really well with Barney our 11 year old, but gets a bit jealous and wants what Barney has - of course Barney is so laid back, he lets him have it weather it be a toy or treats. I don't know if it is stress, but the dogs are not often left on their own as both my husband is semi retired and is home most days and I don't think he could be bored but I wonder if he has OCD? We are taking Barney to the vet tomorrow, so will ask my vets thought on Finleys behaviour. Has anyone any thoughts on this and in fact do dogs get OCD?
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Yes, dogs do get OCD.

Here's a paper
http://vip.vetsci.usyd.edu.au/conten...15/Synnott.pdf
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2012, 09:59 AM
I think repeated / compulsive behaviour in animals is either learned behaviour (as in confined zoo animals) or the result of a neurological or physical problem.
I think dogs exhibit patterns of behaviour they find rewarding. Your idea of rewarding will be very different to that of a dog. Lunging and barking can be rewarding to a dog if it proves to make the `threat` go away.
If your dog is adequately exercised and not suffering stress I would ask the vet to examine him.
Sometimes back or joint pain can keep a dog on his feet, and there are conditions like dementia that can produce this behaviour.
twix
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2012, 08:58 PM
Have you had his hearing and eyesight checked?
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

27-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Sounds like something very odd going on. After a full vet check and try to take a recording of the behaviour with you if you can, get in a behaviourist (qualified, in the know) who can explain why he is doing this.
After your second post it does sound like something upstairs isn't quite ticking right, but it could just be a learnt behaviour or stress as other have suggested or an OCD which can be managed with meds and behaviour management - will need to work with vet and behaviourist to get to the bottom of this.
Please keep us posted on what happens, wishing you the best
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-08-2012, 10:53 PM
I have an elderly rescue dog who circles. She does it when stressed, excited, nervous,happy, sad - it seems to be her default behaviour.

In her case I ascribe it to being kennelled or confined for long periods in her unknown past. Plus she is a very high-energy breed that is often used for police or military work, and we have no idea of her past... I can guess that six months isolated quarantine could easily do that to an active working dog.

As she has got used to living with us, she does it less but still defaults from time to time.

Out of curiosity may I ask, where did you get Barney from? Are you still in touch with his breeder?