Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-08-2012, 10:10 PM

Behavioural video

We have a doberman staying with us currently. I filmed Polo meeting him (although there is fence between them), as he did not react to him when he saw him on lead. In fact, he did not acknowledge that he was there, which is very unusual.

Anyway, the meeting is quite interesting. Polo usually, go straight to the fence and either wags his tail and can be fairly friendly or goes mental at the other dog.

Any comments regarding either dog's behaviour would be welcome.

rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Lot of marking going on from both at the beginning---neither really looks at the other although they know they are there. Polo seems worried a bit but the dobbie more so. He is obviously making his way over to the fence---maybe he didn't realise it was there to begin with and was trying it out?

Funny that Polo lay down when they did meet, almost like he was saying that he wasn't a danger? Then the little herding bit at the end which he just couldn't help

Interesting.

rune
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-08-2012, 08:21 AM
I agree with Rune about most of their behaviour. But not so sure about the laying down part, just because Polo is so stiff in going down, if that is how Polo normally moves then fair enough, I don't know anything about either dog.
But to me I have seen similar behaviours before where one dog is really unsure and worried and tries something different like a stiff bow or stiff sit or down like that and when the other dog approaches starts snapping and lunging. Both seem very much on edge around each other and I would have a few more introductions through the fence (just because I'm a very cautious person). Love to see more of how they get along.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks, good to hear your thoughts.

I don't know the dobie well enough to know how he would cope with Polo and vice versa but he is fairly laid back from what I do know and is cool with all our other dogs.

Polo does not normally delay an introduction as long as in the video but then Monty was keeping his distance for a bit.

Polo took one look at Monty and went back indoors and when he eventually came out came to me and half jumped at me so it's not an introduction I would force as he was clearly telling me he did not want to do it.

Monty did seem worried about approaching too.

To me , Monty was throwing out calming signals in an attempt to avoid conflict. He did know the fence was there but does not know that Polo would not jump it I suppose.

And no polo does not usually sit or lie down slowly like in the video so it was very deliberate and unusual for him to do in the presence of a dog he does not know. Another attempt to avoid conflict?

Yeah had to smile at the last bit where he gave Monty his collie eye
LaPitLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2012, 05:10 PM
IMO, there is way too much stressful energy going on through out the video. I had to skip around a little so I can see where they actually interacted, and you are right not to trust the Dobbie just yet. Polo is protecting his turf. He nips and barks at the other dog as a warning. Even though his tail is waging, that's not always an indicator that he is calm or happy. The tail waging and the Stiff body is a sign that he is about to attack. As well as the hard stare he gave the dobbie.

When he laid down, it was simply to ignore the other dog. He was saying 'I know you are there, but I have already warned you once, this is my turf. Now go away'.

I would continue to do fence meetings. The way Polo displayed himself made me think he would take on the dobbie any chance he got. And we don't want that.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 05:23 PM
pretty tense!
Two guys sizing each other up while being as polite and careful as they can be

I wonder if its the dobies tail? basically looking at the rest of him he was trying to be polite, turning his head away, sniffing turning away, his movments were pretty gentle and not really stiff at all - but his tail and the fact his breed are so upright could have been giving mixed signals
There is an Akita round here who is soft as anything but other dogs have a go at her cos she is so upright with her tail up like that
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 06:30 PM
Thanks for your observations.

I agree there is a lot of tension and I never allow free 1st introductions with polo and another dog on his own territory. I allowed it with the fence there as the dobe is staying so he knows he is about and sees him without needing to interact.

I just found the slow sit and down quite an unusual one!

They both seem fine together and are happy to ignore so all is peaceful.

The dobe is quite happy around our other dogs apart from a sniff of dinner on its way and he and lady were at each other sounding like they were murdering someone. Gawd 2 dobies arguing sounds alarming! All is fine though.
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
pretty tense!
Two guys sizing each other up while being as polite and careful as they can be

I wonder if its the dobies tail? basically looking at the rest of him he was trying to be polite, turning his head away, sniffing turning away, his movments were pretty gentle and not really stiff at all - but his tail and the fact his breed are so upright could have been giving mixed signals
There is an Akita round here who is soft as anything but other dogs have a go at her cos she is so upright with her tail up like that
Interesting thought regarding the tail. I know a toller that Polo has mixed with on a few occasions and Polo hates him. He is always right in his face and despite the toller doing everything to avoid conflict Polo has had a go at him. The only thing I can think is the toller has very high tail carriage and Polo reads it as hostile.

Well the other possibility is the voice.....
LaPitLover
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-09-2012, 06:55 PM
How long is the Dobie going to be staying?
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-09-2012, 07:36 PM
He goes home in a couple of days.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >