Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 11:05 AM

How long do you walk for?

How long do your dogs get walked on a day to day basis?

Do you split it up in to lots of walks or do just one big one, or if you have lots of dogs do you walk them separately or together?
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 11:09 AM
It varies.

Every morning, without fail, they get a 30min dash to the woods for wees/poos and leg stretching.

Then tbh it depends on my day (work or no) If I am working, then get a 2 hour walk in the evening, and then a last 20 min wee walk just before bed

If I am off, as I am today, they will get 2-4 hours in the afternoon, and then a shorter walk later on.

No walk is ever the same, and I will take picnics, balls, treats etc and sometimes I dont walk at all, but they have a ball session in a field
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-08-2012, 11:18 AM
One big walk of around 2 hours and all walked together off lead.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 11:19 AM
I take mine out once for anything between 90 minutes (if it`s vile weather) to 4 hours (if it`s nice and I`ve got a new book).
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 11:21 AM
No real routine here. Sometimes I take all three, sometimes two, sometimes one. My dad walks them as well as me so I don't do all the walking.

Generally speaking my larger two get 2 hours of walking split over two walks. Sometimes I'll take Bo out for an extra short walk or bike ride in the evening, so she might get up to 2 1/2 hours.

Tilly either goes on one of the one hour walks with the others or gets her own separate walk with lots of ball throwing.

So on average between 1 1/2 & 2 1/2 hours a day. No set times, anywhere between 6am - 10pm depending on what is going on. My Lab and Yorkie would be happy with just an hour walk a day, my Slovak needs at least 1 1/2 hours to stay chilled.
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2012, 11:49 AM
Depends. As Betsy is so young, I'm careful not to overdo it, but I want to make things interesting for her.

Sometimes she will get a 3-7 minute on lead walk at 8, 12, 3 and sometimes 6 if she is a bit hyper. On other days she will get 1 "long" walk (15-20mins actual free running walking time, but can often be out for up to 45 mins mixing in just sitting down practicing stays/sit/down etc, and if I see alot of people very often I will just sit down with her and praise her if she is polite as they walk past, tummy tickling and a quick paddle in a very shallow stream or just a lie down having a cuddle in the shade!)

In both incidents, she comes back, is a bit hyper for 20mins, conks out between 20mins and 2 hours but is raring to go the next day. In most incidents her walks are 80% mental stimulation/not very physically intense play and a quick dash off lead as I'm aware I really dont want to overdo it!
labaddicted91
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2012, 11:50 AM
(She is 13 weeks today)
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 12:05 PM
When I worked full time my walks were very much routine and would be three walks per day during the week (6am for an hour, 12pm for 40 mins and 6pm for as long as we felt like it ) and all weekend was planned around being out with the dogs - walking, training etc.

Now I am fortunate enough to be at home most of the day, the walks are less routine and the dogs are out and about with me for the best part of the day in any event. However, we do tend to do a blast around the field in the early morning for around 30-40 mins, then I have three hours in the morning when my son is in nursery and that whole time is taken up walking the two dogs for one and half or two hours and giving the two oldies a potter around for 20-30 mins. Then I will have them out with me in the afternoon and will go for a walk again around teatime for an hour or so. If the evening is a nice one, then we go out again when the kids are in bed, but hubby and I take it in turns
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 12:14 PM
I have to add tho. There have been odd days, when due to ill health (mine or my sons) that the dogs have had the usual 30min walk early morning, and then nothing else...fine for one day, two and I am ready to throttle the youngest two
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2012, 12:26 PM
Through the week mine get walked for an hour at 6am, I vary the walks - canal, cycle path, fields etc
Lunchtime 20 mins walk along canal
Evening, either a walk through the fields, cycle path, canal or a mammoth fetch session in the garden.
Weekend an hours walk am, and depending on what we do they either get another good walk pm or again one at lunch time.
I take both out together too.
I would rather spend time with the woofs than people, except hubby, daughter and grandson of course
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >