Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2005, 01:39 PM

Jumping up

Hi some of you will of seen pics of Zanta today and remarked how large she is,any tips that have worked for you re:jumping up,she doesnt exactly leap at people but seemst to want to place her front paws on you on most people she now reaches their shoulders,have tried some of the tips from Gwen Bailey but not having much luck.
Steve
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Im having to teach mine the same,so will be watching this thread with intrest...

At the moment,he's getting better with me saying no,but when he gets excited-he sometimes goes deaf!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Em know the feeling,she isnt as bad with me,she does it to the Oh and my eldest son more,Leo just posted on the on the pictures board as i asked on there if anyone had any tips but felt it best to post a thread on the correct board,my younger son gets away with it more also,he suggests ignore them and enjoy them as they soon grow up trouble is when you are out most people dont mind but i can understand people who do not like it,she is rather large.Lets hope we get some good tips,i am sure we will.
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Teagan used to jump up ALL the time.
I was told by a few trainers to turn my back on her if she tried.
It took a while, but she finally realised that she wasn't allowed to jump up!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally Posted by Hevvur
Teagan used to jump up ALL the time.
I was told by a few trainers to turn my back on her if she tried.
It took a while, but she finally realised that she wasn't allowed to jump up!
Hi there Zantababy as Hevvur says ignore/fold your arms/turn away/don't speak/no eye contact..this is unwanted behavior and should not be 'rewarded' by speaking to Zanta...I expect sometimes when she has jumped up people have laughed or spoken to her ...this is 'rewarding' her
Also teach her to sit and stay and reward her when she does, then when you think she may be about to jump up get her to sit and stay .
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Do that sometimes it works like everything have to stick at it,sons girlfriend over to stay today she can be a bit excitable so when she came in the door i mentioned to her to stay calm,and got treats out,so far so good she has been a bit in your face with her toys putting two front paws on your lap and sticking her rubber goose in your face and then gets a bit nippy with it,but giving her short time out in her crate and ignoring bad behaviour and praising when quiet and good we will get there but you seem to be making progress and then take 5 steps back.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-08-2005, 04:09 PM
not sure how old Zanta is remember 'stay calm ' means nothing to Zanta..you need to train her useing the same words every time and stick to them, then get her to do something she understands ..here is an article by SB that may help you
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Thanks for that Mini she is a good at sit and we are getting there with stay,all her adult teeth now through but not properly hence the occasional biting episode top doubles seem to be taking longer than bottom teeth only another month or so hopefully and we will of finished with that completely,it is really the puppy exuberance of jumping up i need to work on i will tell family what you have suggested i am sure it will help a great deal,interesting link to read (thankyou)
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2005, 04:38 PM
I have been trying turning my back for 9 months but Loki seems to think he is a kangaroo.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

14-08-2005, 04:43 PM
Oh no do hope Zanta doesnt think the same in 9 months time she will probably weigh about 10 stone the rate she is going.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >