Our sister sites
Our sister sites
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2012, 12:15 AM

Do the same rules apply?

On the beach?
Just returned from a suprisingly delightful stay in Staithes.
We went for a walk along the beach in Sandsend, with Reggie being DA we try our best to find a spot that's quiet and away from other dog walkers.
We were ambling along the seashore, both dogs are on flexis, when I notice a group with two dogs (Border Collie & staffie) are gaining on us, now I don't worry too much as these two dogs are having a ball with each other, running in and out of the water, completely ignoring our two, suddenly however the Border Collie detoured and flew at Reggie, it's owners were frantically calling it's name to no avail.
Reg was reeled in quickly and was by my sons side but the BC made contact and Reg attacked, went for the dogs throat...it squealed then ran away, seemingly no worse for wear.
To be honest, it really shook me up, I was just thankful the dog ran away and didn't retaliate.
OH said it was their problem, part of me agrees, but another part of me thinks that on holiday normal rules tend to be relaxed slightly, and that maybe Reggie should be wearing a muzzle?
I don't want him to be muzzled, but I can't help thinking that people are judging me for taking a 'nasty' dog on holiday.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Does he wear muzzle normally?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 12:26 AM
Your dog was on a lead (although my view of flexis is somewhat jaundiced) how long was it?

The dog invaded your dog's space.

Do you normally walk your dog with a muzzle?

My view is if you cannot control your dog or will not control it, then do not have it off the lead.

Everyone has the right to walk unmolested by other dogs or people.

Whether it is on the beach, in the park or elsewhere.

It really is not difficult to keep a dog on a long line if you have no recall.
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2012, 12:34 AM
No, he's not usually muzzled, and the flexi was reeled right in by the time the dog got to him as we saw the BC charging towards us, it didn't stop to make a polite greeting, if it had it would have noticed Reggie's body language, it just flew at him.
It was very much a case of Reggie's space being invaded, not the other way round.
The BC was about forty feet away when it decided to run at him.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Then hopefully the owners will have learned a lesson......
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 01:13 AM
You had your dog at your side - the other dog ran up to your dog - not your fault
I wouldnt muzzle my dog for that - tbh if the other dog just charged up really he was defending himself - and you
Alex Wright
New Member!
Male 

08-07-2012, 05:26 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Then hopefully the owners will have learned a lesson......
Yes that's for sure great lesson would have been learned by the owner, if he is teaching his dog how to perform all of this....
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 07:24 AM
As far as I can see its the other owners problem, their dog should not of charged up to yours, so stop worrying and enjoy your holiday
LindsayP
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:38 AM
Thanks, had it happened at home I wouldn't question who was in the wrong, but I always feel somehow guilty for taking an anti social dog on holiday.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2012, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by LindsayP View Post
Thanks, had it happened at home I wouldn't question who was in the wrong, but I always feel guilty for taking an anti social dog on holiday.
Even Victor Meldrew deserved a holiday.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >