Our sister sites
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 04:59 PM

DAP (Adaptil?) Spray?

Anyone use a DAP (Adaptil?) spray?

Have you found it useful?

I'm tempted to try some for Darcey as she gets very stressed when I leave her, especially when she's in the car.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 05:03 PM
In my experience it made Kiki more anxious - but that's just her. Obviously both dogs were exposed to it as I sprayed it on the curtains and rug, and it didn't seem to affect Casper either way (not that he's anxious about being left at home).
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Oddly enough I bought some yesterday to see if it will calm Kibo in the car. I've yet to try it but the vet nurse suggested spraying it onto a bandana around his neck.

We've not been on a car journey yet to try it, but when we do I'll let you know if it makes any difference.
Polarbear2008
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-07-2012, 06:34 PM
When Bailiie first came home we tried DAP spray as she was very clingy and very shy and nervous. Our vet suggested we try a DAP collar, which we did for a month, but sadly it didn't really work for us. We'd only had her three weeks when we took her on holiday to Cornwall and that trip seemed to do more good - spending lots of quality time and being put in situations where she wouldn't normally be, but with lots of reassurance and live from us, she slowly gained confidence. She still can be a little nervous now but we always try to have great experiences and give lots of tasty rewards when we get through sticky patches. It seems to work for us
Good luck, hope you have success
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-07-2012, 06:44 PM
I tried the collar on Kestral and didn't see a particularly noticable effect.

I know that Moonsmum uses it on Cain though and it seems to help him.
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-07-2012, 08:32 PM
The product is a training aid, not a cure. I would draw similarity to 'no-pull harnesses' where they don't work on their own, they aid training.

E.g if you are using it to reduce in-car stress then you still need to employ techniques to reduce the stress - the DAP spray will support training, not do it for you.
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-07-2012, 11:01 PM
I tried the spray in the car - no effect.

However the plug in works well in the house - has a calming effect.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 12:37 AM
Never tried the dog one but swear by Feliway the cat plug in.
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by nickmcmechan View Post
The product is a training aid, not a cure. I would draw similarity to 'no-pull harnesses' where they don't work on their own, they aid training.

E.g if you are using it to reduce in-car stress then you still need to employ techniques to reduce the stress - the DAP spray will support training, not do it for you.
I do love how some people jump to the automatic conclusion that people don't train their dogs

Thanks for the replies all It was actually watching the Feliway advert that made me think of the DAP spray

The last couple of days she actually seems calmer in the car, she is watching me go and waiting instead of throwing herself around and trying to chew her way out. I might be taking her on a ferry in a few weeks so wondered if the DAP spray might just help her keep calm, as obviously I can't be with her.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2012, 09:41 AM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
I do love how some people jump to the automatic conclusion that people don't train their dogs

Thanks for the replies all It was actually watching the Feliway advert that made me think of the DAP spray

The last couple of days she actually seems calmer in the car, she is watching me go and waiting instead of throwing herself around and trying to chew her way out. I might be taking her on a ferry in a few weeks so wondered if the DAP spray might just help her keep calm, as obviously I can't be with her.
What i found useful in the car was a couple of drops of rescue remedy on the tongue about half an hour before we set out. If it was a particularly long journey, halfway point another couple drops on the tongue. At one time we had a tidal wave hit the car which totally freaked Katie. Gave her a big fear of the car. We tried everything else & now come to think of it, think i did buy a Dap spray - didnt help. She would shake & cry from start to finish of the journey. It was a young vet suggested we try rescue renedy & it works. It took a while but eventually she got over her fear with use of Rescue Remedy. Might be worth thinking of - start usage now before your holiday. Its not pricey & likes Boots sell it x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >