Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 08:49 PM

Whats the best high vis colour?

Coz my dogs can look simalar to Deers when bounding through long grass. And Deers get hunted around here. So I'm thinking it may be better to be safe then sorry, at certain points of the year. I've not really had to worry about this for a few years, but now I do. But what is the best colour? Yellow I wonder how visable it is in long grass etc. Orange seems good. But still can it blend in? Green. I'm not sure, is this a good colour? And what about pink (for Honey). As this is a unnatural colour, what is the visability like from a distance when the high vis is pink?

And does anyone know anywhere you can get the vests in different colours. Because I want it to be as light as possible, and not a heavy material so that they can wear them more comfortably in all weathers. But I've only ever seen yellow vests.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 09:14 PM
I really do not think you need to worry about your dogs getting shot by deerstalkers!

It is not like pheasant shooting.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 09:33 PM
Well I do SB. If your not gonna offer any advice on the question put forward why reply on the thread? I myself had a moment this evening where Diesel chased a deer. And me myself on seeing the deer really had to double check it wasn't my dog. Unfortunately it was in a area I wasn't expecting it to be this time of year, so I was caught off guard. But not all hunters are responsible. Not all know what they are doing. And with the farmer who allows hunting it is not a case of discerning who he allows on his land with a gun by any means apart from what their money says. I've not had a problem there before, apart from the dogs needing to be muzzled to keep different parties happy. But they also have worn their yellow vests. But I want to know whether there is a better colour. That is all.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Well I do SB. If your not gonna offer any advice on the question put forward why reply on the thread? I myself had a moment this evening where Diesel chased a deer. And me myself on seeing the deer really had to double check it wasn't my dog. Unfortunately it was in a area I wasn't expecting it to be this time of year, so I was caught off guard. But not all hunters are responsible. Not all know what they are doing. And with the farmer who allows hunting it is not a case of discerning who he allows on his land with a gun by any means apart from what their money says. I've not had a problem there before, apart from the dogs needing to be muzzled to keep different parties happy. But they also have worn their yellow vests. But I want to know whether there is a better colour. That is all.

Deerstalkers will not mistake your dog for a deer as they will be looking down a telescopic lens, not shooting with the naked eye!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 10:14 PM
Still not answering the question...I don't really care. Them wearing high vis will give me peace of mind. It doesn't negatively affect them. So unless your gonna answer the thread question. Why bother commenting?
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 10:41 PM
I would advise orange every time, especially when you are worried about hunters.
There are some states in USA where orange is the fluorescent colour that people are advised to wear for safety during hunting season. My aunt puts her dogs in orange 'coats' (and herself) when walking them in the woods during the season.

Better to be safe than sorry
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 10:49 PM
Safety-Dog Reflective Dog Vests are available online at Zooplus. Not orange, but lime green and would be suitable for any time of the year even when it is warm.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-06-2012, 11:39 PM
There a re plenty of online stores that will sell you a vest in whatever flourescent colour you want.

Aside from being way OTT (maybe int he US it's necessary but in the UK, it's not), I saw both of your dogs running, jumping, and bounding abotu int he fields last year when we came down to walk with you. They cerainly do NOT look like deer and the potential for any hunter to mistake your dogs or anyone else's for a deer when they're looking through a lens would be practically impossible.

If you were that concerned about it, you'd walk the dogs elsewhere during deer hunting season.

Also, bear in mind that yo decided to post this thread. People have every right to comment in whatever way they wish. If you don't want certain members to commment, or to answer you, then don't post the thread in the first place. COmplaining that someone hasn't answered you or asking why they've bothered to comment is immature at best. You won't always get the answer you want. Everyone's opinion is as valid as the next person's, whether you like what they say or not.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-06-2012, 05:57 AM
As Muntjac can be shot all year round, and although there are slightly different rules which apply to Roe, Fallow, Sika and Red (including whether it is a stag/buck or hind/doe) your dogs would thus have to wear high viz coats all year round for safety.

Also deer are not shot WHILST RUNNING!

Neither can they be shot at night.

So that leaves you with the possibility of your dogs being shot whilst stationary whilst on a public right of way.

And bearing in mind the rules around shooting near these I am not sure why you are concerned about this infinitisemal risk?

Because I have walked my dogs at all times of the year in areas where there are LOADS of deer and have never had any such fears.

But if you are so concerned perhaps it would be a better idea to keep your dogs to footpaths/bridleways/ROW (as you are legally obliged to do) and on the lead?
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-06-2012, 03:01 PM
I wouldn't worry too much but if you want the reassurance i think pink is actually the most eye catching.
You can get the collars which flash too which will make people aware.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >