Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 07:50 AM

Your Opinions.

No this isn't another WW3 thread. I was walking down the road the other day and as I do, drifted off into my own world. It was after an incident that had happened with Louie and THE Lab, it is beginning to be a common occurance so I now try to avoid times when they are out walking and it seems the owner thought the same so we are now bumping into each other more Anyway.

I was thinking, before I got Louie, joined Dogsey and other forums and met some lovely people who I have kept in contact with and now consider good friends, my opinions of dogs and the dog world have changed. I can't really say how but I know that they have. Simple changes, like how my dogs behave, act around other dogs and I read body language more now. I've also realised how much common sense and courtesy is missing in the world and thats just from walking my dogs. I have three freezers buzzing away and only 1 is mine I know more about what I feed my dog that what I feed myself.. there are many more examples. But I know my opinions of the dog world are changed.

So how about you?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 08:29 AM
Well I should hope your opinions HAVE evolved as you age, acquire skills, knowledge, ability, training and experience.

I know mine have.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 08:45 AM
Oh, my views have changed totally since finding Dogsey and researching more in general about dogs.

Even though I'd owned a dog before, when I rehomed Dex I knew NOTHING. I shudder when I think back to those early weeks and some of the mistakes I made!

I didn't even know what a 'reactive' dog was, at that point. I couldn't tell if dogs were playing or about to have a scrap.

For me Dogsey has been a massive help and the kind folk on it have really helped to educate me
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 08:56 AM
I guess it has made me aware I am not alone in the problems I have, I thought it was a local problem or just my dogs that were being attacked rather regularly, but reading dogsey I now at least know it isn't just me having problems. I have learned a lot and also learned to ignore advice that will not work with my dogs anyway. And also that some people no matter how wrong they are will not back down and admit they just might not know my dogs as well as I do
Dalmonda
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2012, 09:02 AM
For me Dogsey has been a great platform to air views, ask opinions/questions and of course learn through the experience of others! If you can avoid all the drama!

One of the "main" things I've learn't is the difficultly faced by those with DA dogs (or any difficult dog for that matter).

Whilst I had always made an effort to not add to the problem, I've never "helped". I've learn't to judge situations quickly.... If someone is having difficulty do they need a little more space? Is it better if I walk the opposite way around a field? I've learn't that its OK to talk to other owners in passing.... even if its a quick " are you friendly?" or "how much space do you need?" when I come across with a nervous dog. Just because a dog isn't behaving itself, or is in training for a specific behaviour, doesn't mean the owner suffers the same problem
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-06-2012, 09:18 AM
I think I've become far more aware and therefore far more tolerant at times and then something happens out across the fields with irresponsible dog owners and my patience just disintegrates!!!
I dont think my opinions of dogs/behaviour/feeding have changed since visiting the forums. I sometimes feel disappointed when somebody is asking for help and they are berated from the outset but luckily that doesnt happen too often. The rest of the time I love the threads and particularly the photos of the beautiful dogs put up. Just wish I was more technically minded sometimes!!!
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 09:32 AM
The only unchangeable opinion I have of dogs, their behaviour and traning methods is that you will never know everything and it's a never ending learning curve. The moment you do think you do think you know everything, get complacent or have found the perfect training method, it will bite you in the backside.

Okay, two... above point proved. The other one is there's nowt as queer as folk and that extends to dog folk too.

And Dogsey is of course a stop off point on my path of canine enlightenment.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 10:52 AM
I love to have my opinions challenged, not because I like to argue, but because it's the best way to learn and keep an open mind. Sometimes I change my opinion; sometimes my opinion is strengthened.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I love to have my opinions challenged, not because I like to argue, but because it's the best way to learn and keep an open mind. Sometimes I change my opinion; sometimes my opinion is strengthened.
Agree, I can think of few expert trainers who have not changed their opinions at some point.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-06-2012, 11:17 AM
I believe opinions are always changing, experience, others views and age all play apart.

Mine have changed, alot for the better - that comes from hands on experiences, as well as having my views challenged.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >