View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-06-2012, 05:29 PM

Is it time routine castrations are banned?

Evidence suggests castrating male dogs (especially at a young age and/or of larger breeds) significantly increases the chance of certain diseases and cancers (such as bone cancer) for dogs - so is it about time this practise was outlawed? (Except for specific medical cases).

There are safer methods to prevent a dog from producing offspring - such as sterilisation/vasectomies (or in the case of females, Tubal ligations).

I find it rather disturbing that Vets, who frankly should know better, are complicit in this practise. But then, I suppose it practically ensures plenty of customers further down the line

Further reading:

NAIA (The National Animal Interest Alliance) report on castration (PDF)

PETmd's article on Tubal ligations and vasectomies
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Never heard of the tubal litigation until I read your post, do they do that in england???? had talked myself into having sasha spayed by keyhole surgery to minimise pain and leaving Samson whole but if she could have the tubal I will look into that too,

Ps don't agree with early neutering terrible the way the rescues insist on doing it too
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by zoeyvonne View Post
Never heard of the tubal litigation until I read your post, do they do that in england???? had talked myself into having sasha spayed by keyhole surgery to minimise pain and leaving Samson whole but if she could have the tubal I will look into that too,

Ps don't agree with early neutering terrible the way the rescues insist on doing it too
I would read the document in the first link Zoe, as things are not so clear-cut for females. If I had a female dog tho, I would certainly prefer a less invasive procedure such as the tubal ligation, so long as there were no long term risks.

I find it hard to blame Rescues (although do get frustrated with their position at times) as you can't expect them to be medical experts and researchers - but the vets should be informing them of these safer procedures. I'm sure if they knew, they would do what's best for the dog - and choose not to risk condemning it to ill-health and suffering.
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:46 PM
I can only understand neutering if the dog is to be housed with a bitch or it's an escape artist, it's up to the bitches owner to keep her separated from dogs.
There's a large amount of entire males around here and my unspayed bitch has never even been caught by a dog, it's down to responsible ownership (i'm not calling anyone irresponsible if they're dog/bitch has done anything as it's a two way thing)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 05:51 PM
What is the price difference?

rune
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:05 PM
We have had two males and one female.......all rescue dogs.

The first male came to us entire, and was fine for a while but then turned into a sex maniac; he wouldn't eat, wasn't interested in normal home life, and spent his time desperately trying to escape. I spent my time retrieving him from various farms many miles away which was not easy with a small child in a pushchair, especially when he was intent on picking a fight with another male dog! He was not a happy dog, and we were not happy either with all the stress and worry each time he went missing - once castrated, he became once again a lovely companion who never put a paw wrong again. Would anything but castration have saved his bacon and our sanity? I doubt it. (Oh, and before anyone says that we should have dog proofed our garden, it was well nigh impossible as it covered an enormous area of orchards and paddocks. We did our best, but the badgers made nightly sure of at least one exit hole.

Our second dog, a bitch, came to us at 5 months old and was spayed prior to arrival - far too early really. However I do think that spaying is on balance a good thing if only for the fact that it prevents pyometra in later years.

Our present chap was entire until we took him on in his teens, when the DT castrated him. Given that he was initially very aggressive with other male dogs, and that when he meets desirable lady dogs, he still thinks that he can do them a favour as it were, I have no doubt that we would be having the same troubles as with our first dog if he were not castrated......although this garden is secure.

So my stand on this is, whilst acknowledging that some procedures may be safer than others for the dog concerned, it is not always just about unwanted procreation - it is also about the general state of mind of the dog when he still has his bits.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Evidence suggests castrating male dogs (especially at a young age and/or of larger breeds) significantly increases the chance of certain diseases and cancers (such as bone cancer) for dogs - so is it about time this practise was outlawed? (Except for specific medical cases).

There are safer methods to prevent a dog from producing offspring - such as sterilisation/vasectomies (or in the case of females, Tubal ligations).

I find it rather disturbing that Vets, who frankly should know better, are complicit in this practise. But then, I suppose it practically ensures plenty of customers further down the line

Further reading:

NAIA (The National Animal Interest Alliance) report on castration (PDF)

PETmd's article on Tubal ligations and vasectomies

To be honest, no I dont think it should be outlawed, its individual choice what people do with their dogs.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:11 PM
Personally until other owners are more responsible I will always neuter mine
and not just with their walking in season bitches in parks offlead around lots of other dogs without asking about them, but also the number of people with offlead aggressive males who attack other non nuetered males - yes I know that is their problem not supposedly mine but I am happy knowing Ben has never and will never be attacked simply because he has his balls (happens way too often around here)

and to be honest all the male dogs I know round here and with my friends they all wanted to keep them entire but for one reason or another have ALL neutered their male dogs eventually

and tbh I see no problem at all with rescues doing it - and doing it as young as they can as many people try and sneak a litter in before their pet is done

Hopefully in other areas people are more clued up and less irresponsible - but here that is how things stand and I wish more dogs were routeinly neutered

The only things I dont aggree with is vets advicing neutering for behavioural problems, but then again I dont really have a lot of experience of that and honestly I am just going on what people say on here, I would imagine a vet would have more experience of the after effects than me
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2012, 06:16 PM
I certainly don't think routine castration ought to be banned.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

15-06-2012, 06:22 PM
Holly - I agree with much of what you say
Rune - I don't know what the costs are (but I'm fairly sure it'll be significantly cheaper than expensive treatments later in life).

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
To be honest, no I dont think it should be outlawed, its individual choice what people do with their dogs.
Shock collar users/abusers/ear croppers/tail dockers will be happy to hear that. Hence I disagree.

Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Personally until other owners are more responsible I will always neuter mine
and not just with their walking in season bitches in parks offlead around lots of other dogs without asking about them, but also the number of people with offlead aggressive males who attack other non nuetered males - yes I know that is their problem not supposedly mine but I am happy knowing Ben has never and will never be attacked simply because he has his balls (happens way too often around here)

and to be honest all the male dogs I know round here and with my friends they all wanted to keep them entire but for one reason or another have ALL neutered their male dogs eventually

and tbh I see no problem at all with rescues doing it - and doing it as young as they can as many people try and sneak a litter in before their pet is done

Hopefully in other areas people are more clued up and less irresponsible - but here that is how things stand and I wish more dogs were routeinly neutered

The only things I dont aggree with is vets advicing neutering for behavioural problems, but then again I dont really have a lot of experience of that and honestly I am just going on what people say on here, I would imagine a vet would have more experience of the after effects than me
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
We have had two males and one female.......all rescue dogs.

The first male came to us entire, and was fine for a while but then turned into a sex maniac; he wouldn't eat, wasn't interested in normal home life, and spent his time desperately trying to escape. I spent my time retrieving him from various farms many miles away which was not easy with a small child in a pushchair, especially when he was intent on picking a fight with another male dog! He was not a happy dog, and we were not happy either with all the stress and worry each time he went missing - once castrated, he became once again a lovely companion who never put a paw wrong again. Would anything but castration have saved his bacon and our sanity? I doubt it. (Oh, and before anyone says that we should have dog proofed our garden, it was well nigh impossible as it covered an enormous area of orchards and paddocks. We did our best, but the badgers made nightly sure of at least one exit hole.

Our second dog, a bitch, came to us at 5 months old and was spayed prior to arrival - far too early really. However I do think that spaying is on balance a good thing if only for the fact that it prevents pyometra in later years.

Our present chap was entire until we took him on in his teens, when the DT castrated him. Given that he was initially very aggressive with other male dogs, and that when he meets desirable lady dogs, he still thinks that he can do them a favour as it were, I have no doubt that we would be having the same troubles as with our first dog if he were not castrated......although this garden is secure.

So my stand on this is, whilst acknowledging that some procedures may be safer than others for the dog concerned, it is not always just about unwanted procreation - it is also about the general state of mind of the dog when he still has his bits.
In your cases Zinc neutering might be better:

How does zinc neutering affect testosterone levels?
Studies have shown that testosterone production decreases 41-52% in treated dogs. The reduction is permanent.

How is testosterone lowered by Zinc Gluconate neutralized with Arginine?
The dosage and concentration is designed to ensure Leydig Cells in the interstitial space of the testes survive the procedure. Stimulated by Luteinizing Hormone (LH) produced in the pituitary gland, the Leydig Cells continue to support testosterone-related metabolic activity and growth. In the absence of spermatogenesis, Sertoli cells stop communicating the need for testosterone to mature sperm cells. The pituitary gland detects this lowered demand and lowers the LH levels. Since LH levels determine how much testosterone is produced by the Leydig cells, overall testosterone levels are reduced by 41-52% for all dogs permanently.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »