Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 12:29 PM

Tricks to amuse old people...

My club is going to be doing a display at a local retirement home. The residents vary from people who can no longer to look after themselves to those with quite bad dementia. I would like to teach my 2 some tricks for it and am after some ideas. The trick need to be fairly big and obvious so the older people can see them and 'get them'. Any ideas would be much appreciated. Nothing too complicated please!
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 12:37 PM
What can your two do already??

I guess weaving tru legs can be seen pretty well
Play dead
roll over
Bring you a basket/hanky something

Funny easy ones like putting their paws on your bum when you bend over
Sit up and beg?
Say your prayers?
Bow
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 12:39 PM
Chase the oldies?

OK! Only kidding!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Taking a biscuit nicely.
I have taken a dog in to a hospital when visiting (in the garden) and the elderly/confused people there really just wanted to sit with the dog and have that companionship.
eta - and tell you all about the dogs they have had.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 01:04 PM
I think Claire's simple idea is a good one. The old people would be able to take part if they wanted to. And, yes, old people do love stopping you and talking to you about dogs they've had in the past.

I feel SO sorry for those who live where they are not allowed to keep pets (tho' I do understand the reasons for it) and this idea of others taking their pets in to visit is fantastic in my view.
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 01:06 PM
How about teaching the dog to take your hat and/or gloves off. I've seen it done and it is a very obvious trick and does make people laugh.
peedie
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Thanks all! Some great ideas Yes we are hoping to set the dogs up and have anyone who wants to 'help' call the dogs and then they can feed them. We will have a chat and a fuss at the end I'm sure x
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 04:43 PM
We did special routines to music that they might well know---just a few tricks really with the music to accompany them. The areas are usually very small so you have to adapt everything. Clappy songs are good as well dependimg on the abilities etc.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Why would you need to do tricks? I mean do they really want to go to the circus! Im sorry but in my experience old people and particularly those with mental illness are far more relaxed and comforted by stroking dogs and just being around them. Rather than noise, and excitement.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2012, 05:56 PM
Bear in mind that if they are in a retirement home they will have health issues etc - poor vision / hearing, possible dementia, lack of mobility and certainly frailty and tiredness.
If I were doing it. I`d have each member of your team develop one little trick (give paw or roll over) and go round small groups or individuals in turn. That way everyone who wants to take part gets a little personal time - which is so valuable for the elderly.
I have visited retirement homes with children for reminiscence projects. It is extremely difficult to get a group focussed on one thing. A personal approach is always better.
This is a lovely idea. Well done.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >